Lewis structure- and bases check please

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of H2S, NH2, and CH3 acting as bases, as well as the correct Lewis structure for a molecule with a specific skeletal structure. The participants also mention the importance of understanding the definitions of acids and bases in organic chemistry. It is ultimately determined that H2S primarily acts as an acid rather than a base.
jewilki1
Could you check these?
Which one of the following ions or molecules can act as a base?

H2S NH4 ALH3 CH3 NH2
I chose H2S. Is this correct?

Also I had to weire a resonable lewis structure for the molecule that has the following skeletal structure: O2NONO2

I wrote: O-O-N-O-N-O-O I am not sure how to put the dots around it on this site. Thanks for checking

Physics news on Phys.org
jewilki1 said:
Could you check these?
Which one of the following ions or molecules can act as a base?
H2S NH4 ALH3 CH3 NH2
I chose H2S. Is this correct?
No, it's not. Why did you choose that ? What is the definition of a bse ?

Also I had to weire a resonable lewis structure for the molecule that has the following skeletal structure: O2NONO2
I wrote: O-O-N-O-N-O-O I am not sure how to put the dots around it on this site. Thanks for checking
Can't say if it's correct unless you show us the unbonded electrons too. You can try using the "code" tags.

Example :

Code:
   ..  ..
 : O = O :

H2S CAN act as a base, no? And so can NH2 right? I have mixed feelings about CH3...(nothing like silly questions to confuse your brain huh?)
sorry to butt in, just had a BRUTAL :eek: adv organic test with all these basic/acid strength questions...:rofl:

Do what Goku says, but take it from me: know ALL the definitions of acids and bases like THE BACK OF YOUR HAND...and other parts you're...familiar with...

Last edited:
I highly doubt that H2S can behave as a base.

Then what is the difference between H2O and H2S? I used the same analogy here, though I'm not surprised I'm wrong :shy:

For all practical purposes, H2S acts as an acid. In water H2S is slightly acidic with a pKa of 6.89. I don't know perhaps if you liquified H2S then it would be amphoteric like water.

1. What is a Lewis structure?

A Lewis structure is a diagram that shows the bonding between atoms and the lone pairs of electrons present in a molecule or ion.

2. How do you draw a Lewis structure?

To draw a Lewis structure, you first need to determine the total number of valence electrons present in the molecule. Then, you need to follow the octet rule and arrange the atoms and their valence electrons in a way that all atoms have a full outer shell. Double and triple bonds may be necessary to achieve this.

3. What is the purpose of checking a Lewis structure?

The purpose of checking a Lewis structure is to ensure that it follows the rules of chemical bonding and is a accurate representation of the molecule's structure. This is important in understanding the properties and behavior of the molecule.

4. What is the difference between a Lewis structure and a resonance structure?

A Lewis structure represents a specific arrangement of atoms and electrons in a molecule, while a resonance structure represents the different possible arrangements of atoms and electrons. Resonance structures are used when a molecule cannot be accurately represented by a single Lewis structure.

5. How do you determine if a molecule is a base?

To determine if a molecule is a base, you can use the Lewis structure to identify any lone pairs of electrons. If the molecule has a lone pair of electrons on an atom, it can act as a Lewis base and donate those electrons to an acid in a chemical reaction.