Why do I only have dimples on one side of my face?

• Thread starter MikeX
  • Start date
In summary: So, while one side of the face might show the dominant gene for a dimple, the other side might not because mosaicism has interfered with the expression of the gene.This is a really interesting question - and one that I hadn't thought about before. It's definitely something to keep in mind when you're looking at people and trying to figure out why they have the features they do. There are a lot of possibilities that could explain why someone might have only dimples on one side of their face, but I wouldn't be able to say for sure which one it is.
MikeX
I've notice this for a long time now, but I never remember to inquire about it... until now. I know that having dimples is a dominant trait, but for some reason whenever I smile or laugh, there's only dimples on my left side of my cheek. Isn't this a bit odd?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I know lots of people with one dimple, but haven't given it much thought til now.

I'd think incomplete dominance, or alternatively variable penetrance, would be good possibilities that might explain the situation. For some reason, the musculature that creates a dimple on one side of your face, developed fdifferently on the other side, because the "dominant" gene that gives you a dimple, is not expressed to the same extent ( or not interpreted in the same way) on the other side.

Very few genes show absolute dominance, and you might also consider that some people's dimples are very very deep whereas other people's dimples are more "shallow."

perhaps there are different traits for having a left dimple, a right dimple or dimples on both cheeks?

Evolution of the cichlid mandible

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/evolution_of_the_cichlid_mandible/" is a geat discussion of some research on just this question - evolution and inheritance of facial features - that was done with African fish. Sheds some light. (From Pharyngula, via Panda's Thumb).

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps - but it seems unlikely. Generally speaking, gene expression on one side of the dorsal-ventral axis is mirrored on the other side.

There are cases where the two side are not mirror images. For example, some people have a brown eye and a green eye. In my understanding (which may not be correct) this can be tied into the "mosaicism" that women have one X chromosome inactivated in each cell - and this can vary from one patch of cells to the next.

What is a "one half dominant trait"?

A "one half dominant trait" is a type of genetic inheritance where one copy of a gene is dominant and the other copy is recessive. This means that individuals who inherit one copy of the dominant gene and one copy of the recessive gene will exhibit the dominant trait.

How is a "one half dominant trait" inherited?

A "one half dominant trait" is inherited through a process called Mendelian inheritance. This means that there is a 50% chance of inheriting the dominant gene and a 50% chance of inheriting the recessive gene from each parent.

What are some examples of "one half dominant traits"?

Some examples of "one half dominant traits" include attached earlobes, dimples, and freckles. In these cases, individuals with one dominant gene and one recessive gene will exhibit the dominant trait, while those with two recessive genes will not.

Can a "one half dominant trait" skip a generation?

Yes, a "one half dominant trait" can skip a generation. This is because recessive genes can be passed down through generations without being expressed if they are paired with a dominant gene.

Are "one half dominant traits" more common than other types of genetic inheritance?

No, "one half dominant traits" are not more common than other types of genetic inheritance. They are simply one of many possible ways in which traits can be inherited from parents.