Venturi tube help needed in determining pressure difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of water through a venturi tube of varying diameter and water density. The question at hand is to determine the pressure difference and head loss in the system. Using the Bernoulli equation and the fact that volume per time is constant, the equation 1/2g (V2^2-V1^2) is derived and used to calculate a head loss of 39.3mm. However, it is unclear if this is the correct approach to solving the problem.
timothy1875

Homework Statement

Water flows through venturi tube at 0.3 litres/s. Diameter of venturi tube is 32mm to 20mm to 32mm and the water density is 1000kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

a) Assuming head loss is neglible, what is pressure difference between 1 and 2.

b) If pressure head difference between these is 45mm what is head loss.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have V2 = P1A1V1/P2A2 = 0.9548 and V1 (Q/A) = 0.3731

delta H 1/2 = H1 - H2 = 1/2g (V2^2-V1^2))
delta H 1/2 = 39.3mm

Where do I go from here, if this is even correct ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi timothy1875! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

i don't follow you :confused:

use the fact that the volume per time is constant, and Bernoulli's equation :wink:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me.I am trying to answer the question but think I may be going about it the wrong way.

Using the Bernoulli equation do I need to transpose to find P ?

show us what you have so far :smile:

V2 = P1A1V1/P2A2 = 0.9548 and V1 (Q/A) = 0.3731

delta H 1/2 = H1 - H2 = 1/2g (V22-V12)
delta H 1/2 = 39.3mm

This where I have got to so far, :(

timothy1875 said:
V2 = P1A1V1/P2A2 = 0.9548

what does this mean? :confused:

where does it come from?

Basically we have been set this question and there are numerous equations on the back that we have to pick from. I take it from your response I have selected the wrong equation initially. Should it be 1/2g (V22 - V1 2) ??

1. What is a Venturi tube?

A Venturi tube is a device used to measure the flow rate of a fluid by creating a pressure difference between its inlet and outlet. It consists of a converging section, a throat, and a diverging section. The fluid flows through the converging section, passes through the throat with a reduced cross-sectional area, and then flows through the diverging section, creating a pressure difference that can be measured.

2. How does a Venturi tube work?

A Venturi tube works on the principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout its flow. As the fluid flows through the converging section, its velocity increases and the pressure decreases. When it reaches the throat, the velocity is at its maximum and the pressure is at its minimum. As it flows through the diverging section, the velocity decreases and the pressure increases, creating a difference in pressure between the inlet and outlet of the tube.

3. What is the equation for calculating pressure difference in a Venturi tube?

The equation for calculating pressure difference in a Venturi tube is ΔP = ρQ²(A₁² - A₂²) / (2A₁²A₂²), where ΔP is the pressure difference, ρ is the density of the fluid, Q is the flow rate, A₁ is the cross-sectional area of the inlet, and A₂ is the cross-sectional area of the throat.

4. How can a Venturi tube help in determining pressure difference?

A Venturi tube can help in determining pressure difference by measuring the flow rate of a fluid and creating a pressure difference between its inlet and outlet. This pressure difference can then be used to calculate the difference in pressure, which is important in various industries such as chemical, oil and gas, and water treatment.

5. What are some common applications of a Venturi tube?

A Venturi tube has various applications, including measuring the flow rate and pressure difference of fluids in pipelines, controlling the air-fuel ratio in carburetors of engines, monitoring the flow of gases in industrial processes, and measuring the flow rate of water in irrigation systems. It is also commonly used in medical devices, such as nebulizers and oxygen delivery systems.