Solving Ax=b with Matrices A and C

• Thread starter flash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
I was thinking of the general case where A is an m x n matrix and C is an n x m matrix. In this case, AC = I would imply that A is invertible and therefore, Ax = b would have a unique solution for every b. But since A is not invertible in this case, your explanation is enough.
flash
Suppose A is a 3 x 4 matrix and there exists a 4 x 3 matrix C such that AC = I (the 3x3 identity matrix). Let b be an arbitrary vector in R3. Produce a solution of Ax=b.

I'm not quite sure what the question is asking. I think I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi flash! :smile:

Hint: AC = I … so multiply something by I ! :wink:

Further hint if the one given above is too vague: Multiply it on the right side of I.

If AC= I then CA= I.

How would you solve Ax= b if A, x, and b were NUMBERS?

Ax = b
CAx = Cb
Ix = Cb
x = Cb

Am I on the right track?

flash said:
Am I on the right track?

Not only on the right track … you've arrived at Grand Central! :biggrin:

You have proved that A sends Cb to ACb = Ib = b.

So A(Cb) = b.

In other words, x = Cb is a solution to Ax = b. :smile:

Ok, thanks. The other part of the question goes:
A is a 4x3 matrix
C is a 3x4 matrix such that CA = I
Suppose, for some given b in R4 that Ax=b has at least one solution. Show that this solution is unique.

Can I just say x = Cb which implies that there is only one solution for x? I'm thinking that I should say something along the lines of: if there exists a C such that CA = I then A must have no free variables.

Hint: What does it mean for a matrix to be invertible? If you had an invertible matrix, what does this say about the number of solutions for every b in Ax = b?

flash said:
Ok, thanks. The other part of the question goes:
A is a 4x3 matrix
C is a 3x4 matrix such that CA = I
Suppose, for some given b in R4 that Ax=b has at least one solution. Show that this solution is unique.

Can I just say x = Cb which implies that there is only one solution for x? I'm thinking that I should say something along the lines of: if there exists a C such that CA = I then A must have no free variables.

Yes, that's all you need to do. C is a given matrix , b is a given vector: since multiplication of a 3x4 matrix with a 4 dimensional vector (a 4x1 matrix) is "well defined", x= Cb must be a specific, unique vector.

(I think BryanP's response is to your previous question- though then I don't know why he refers to " the number of solutions for every b in Ax = b". Here, A is not invertible. Only square matrices are invertible.)

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
(I think BryanP's response is to your previous question- though then I don't know why he refers to " the number of solutions for every b in Ax = b". Here, A is not invertible. Only square matrices are invertible.)

I apologize for that. I didn't notice my error about the invertibility.

1. How do I solve Ax=b with matrices A and C?

In order to solve Ax=b with matrices A and C, you will need to use the technique of matrix multiplication. First, multiply matrix A by matrix C to get the product matrix AC. Then, set up the equation ACx=b and solve for x using standard algebraic methods.

2. What is the importance of solving Ax=b with matrices A and C?

Solving Ax=b with matrices A and C is important in many areas of science, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to represent and solve systems of linear equations efficiently, which is a fundamental tool for solving a wide range of problems.

3. Can matrices A and C be of different sizes when solving Ax=b?

No, in order to solve Ax=b, matrices A and C must have the same number of columns. This is because the number of columns in matrix A must match the number of rows in matrix C in order for matrix multiplication to be possible.

4. What happens if the determinant of matrix A is 0 when solving Ax=b?

If the determinant of matrix A is 0, then the system of equations represented by the matrices A and b has either no solution or an infinite number of solutions. This is because a determinant of 0 indicates that the matrices are linearly dependent, meaning the equations are not independent and cannot be uniquely solved.

5. Is there a specific method or algorithm for solving Ax=b with matrices A and C?

There are several methods and algorithms for solving Ax=b with matrices A and C, including Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, and inverse matrices. The best method to use will depend on the specific properties of the matrices and the size of the system of equations.