A few questions about Quantum stuff

• Thread starter scissors
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation covers the calculation of the longest wavelength light that can free an electron from cesium, as well as the potential required to stop the electron if the incident light is at 250 nm or 350 nm. The conversation also discusses the disturbance of the interference pattern in the double slit experiment, with the conclusion that the momentum of the photon must be greater than the momentum of the electron. The uncertainty principle is used to calculate the lowest velocity of an electron trapped in a 1-d box.
scissors
I have the eqns, and have started out on these problems...but I'm not sure where to go at certain points.

1.) It takes 1.9 eV to free an electron from cesium.

a.) Find the longest wavelength light which can free the electron.

Well, we have the general equation from the photoelectric effect

Ephoton = Eeject + kinetic

Ephoton >= Eeject in order to free an electron.

Therefore:

hc/lambda >= Eeject

[h/(1.609*10^-19)]*c/Eeject >= lambda

I'm not sure if this is lambda max though.

b.) Find the potential required to stop th eelectron if the incident light is 250 nm, and 350 nm.

I'm basically using the same equation as before, but solving for energy, by plugging in lambda. Is this correct?

_ _ _ _ _ _

2.) In the double slit experiment (slits separated by distance d), with a light bulb behind the slits, what momentum photons will disturb the interference pattern? What type of light is this (e.g. visibile, X-Ray), and what about if d is atomic size?

Now the interference is disturbed IF d > lambda. But what equation should I use for this?

hc/lambda again?

When doing that, I got:

hc/lambda >= 1ev (because it's one electron). Is this the way to go?

Once again, thanks for any and all help, I have a few more questions, but I want to work on them some more.

I would go to office hours as well...but it's snowing HARD!

Physics news on Phys.org
22 views and no reply? Somebody tell me if I'm on the right track! :cool:

scissors said:
Therefore:

hc/lambda >= Eeject

[h/(1.609*10^-19)]*c/Eeject >= lambda

I'm not sure if this is lambda max though.
Right (assuming you use correct units). This is the smallest energy photon that can free an electron, so it has the greatest wavelength.

b.) Find the potential required to stop th eelectron if the incident light is 250 nm, and 350 nm.

I'm basically using the same equation as before, but solving for energy, by plugging in lambda. Is this correct?
You can use that equation to find the energy of each wavelength photon, then use that photon energy to calculate the KE of the freed electron.

2.) In the double slit experiment (slits separated by distance d), with a light bulb behind the slits, what momentum photons will disturb the interference pattern? What type of light is this (e.g. visibile, X-Ray), and what about if d is atomic size?
I do not know what they mean by "disturb" the pattern.

Disturb as in, momentum of the photon is greater than the momentum of the electron, therefore messing up the normal path of the electron.

Thanks for your help on the others!

Ah... you're talking about the double slit experiment with electrons where you shine light on the electrons after they pass the slits. So you know the approximate wavelength that will disturb the pattern. What kind of light has a wavelength of atomic size? Look on a chart of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Do I use the formula

hc/lambda >= Eeject once again?

And I assume that Eeject = 1eV since it's one electron.

scissors said:
Do I use the formula

hc/lambda >= Eeject once again?
If you talking about problem 2, no. You don't need any formulas for problem 2.

And I assume that Eeject = 1eV since it's one electron.
That makes no sense. (It's always one electron!) Eeject is the energy needed to free an electron from some bound state, like an electron bound in an atom. The electrons in the double slit are not bound.

Oh, I see. But in that case, how do I calculate the required momentum, if I don't need a formula?

Also, I have one other problem:

3.) Say we trap an electron in a 1-d box. What is it's lowest velocity if the box is 1mm, what if the box were atomic size?

I'm using the uncertainty principle, so:

deltaP*deltax >= h/4pi

so i get deltax = .001 and so

deltaP >= 5.27*10^-32

but what feasible equation is there for relating momentum and velocity, since p=mv, will not work in this case?

and what do they mean by atomic size?

momentum of a photon

scissors said:
Oh, I see. But in that case, how do I calculate the required momentum, if I don't need a formula?
Oops... my bad: I didn't see that you were asked to calculate the momentum of the photons. The momentum of a photon is [itex]p = E/c = h/\lambda[/itex].

scissors said:
Also, I have one other problem:

3.) Say we trap an electron in a 1-d box. What is it's lowest velocity if the box is 1mm, what if the box were atomic size?

I'm using the uncertainty principle, so:

deltaP*deltax >= h/4pi

so i get deltax = .001 and so

deltaP >= 5.27*10^-32
OK.

but what feasible equation is there for relating momentum and velocity, since p=mv, will not work in this case?
Why won't it? Use [itex]\Delta p = m \Delta v[/itex]. (The entire problem is something of a hand-waving argument, but I'm sure that's what they want you to do.)

and what do they mean by atomic size?
What if the size of the box were on the order of an atomic diameter. Just use [itex]10^{-10}[/itex] m. (Close enough!)

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes how particles such as atoms and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. What are quantum particles?

Quantum particles are particles that follow the laws of quantum mechanics, which describe their behavior in terms of probabilities rather than definite states. Examples of quantum particles include electrons, photons, and atoms.

3. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How does quantum computing work?

Quantum computing uses the principles of quantum mechanics to perform calculations and solve problems. Instead of using binary bits, which can only represent 0 or 1, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) that can represent multiple states simultaneously. This allows them to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

5. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This means that there is a limit to how accurately we can measure certain properties of a particle at the same time.