Measuring Acceleration Due to Gravity: Planetary Details

In summary, the law of conservation of energy states that the KE of a cart at the bottom of an incline is about equal to the PE of the cart at the top. This can be measured by speed, height, and calculation of g.
UnD
Hey i was wondering
i need to perform 2 experients (i can't do the penulum one) using completely different methods to measure the acceleration due to gravity.

I thought of the droping different masses and using the ticky tape timer, ?

Also where will i be able to find these things for the planets in our solar system,
planet radius, acceleration due to gravity at surface, orital radius, orbital period, length of planet, orbital radius of a geostationary satellite and escape velocity.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
UnD said:
Hey i was wondering
i need to perform 2 experients (i can't do the penulum one) using completely different methods to measure the acceleration due to gravity.
I thought of the droping different masses and using the ticky tape timer, ?
yes, a ticker-tape timer would work fine.

Also where will i be able to find these things for the planets in our solar system,
planet radius, acceleration due to gravity at surface, orital radius, orbital period, length of planet, orbital radius of a geostationary satellite and escape velocity.
Thanks
http://pds.jpl.nasa.gov/planets/welcome.htm
look under "Planet Profiles"

Cool. Thanks i need to find another that is different.
Plz help. thanks

Consider the energy approach, you know, PE at top = KE at bottom; mgh = (1/2)mv^2 .

Last edited:
Whta is the formula for the force of friction of an inclined plane?

Hmm, Chi Meson, How will i perform the experiment?
nguyen713, i kind of see what you are getting at, I have forgoten the formula i'll try and look around here.

According to the law of conservation of energy, the KE of a low-friction cart at the bottom of the incline is about equal to the PE of the (motionless) cart at the top. speed can be measured, height can be measured, g can be calculated.

I've led you to the door on this one, you have to go in by yourself.

Oh k, Cool thanks.

1. What is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). This value can vary slightly depending on location and altitude.

2. How is the acceleration due to gravity calculated on different planets?

The acceleration due to gravity on different planets is calculated by using the formula g = G * M / r^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet to the object.

3. What is the difference in acceleration due to gravity between Earth and other planets?

The acceleration due to gravity varies greatly between different planets due to their varying masses and sizes. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on Mars is approximately 3.7 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s^2.

4. How is acceleration due to gravity affected by altitude and depth?

As an object moves away from the center of a planet, the acceleration due to gravity decreases. This means that at higher altitudes, the acceleration due to gravity will be slightly less than at sea level. Similarly, as an object moves towards the center of a planet, the acceleration due to gravity increases. This is why the acceleration due to gravity is slightly higher at the surface of the Earth compared to its center.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity on other planets affect objects and humans?

The acceleration due to gravity on other planets can greatly affect the weight and movement of objects and humans. For example, a person who weighs 150 pounds on Earth would only weigh about 56 pounds on Mars due to the lower acceleration due to gravity. This can also affect the trajectory and speed of objects in motion on different planets.