Question about automotive suspensions

• Automotive
  • Thread starter krekquel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automotive
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between caster angles, steering axis inclination, and camber angle of a wheel. The individual is trying to understand the effect of these factors on camber angle when the wheel is turned 90 degrees. It is determined that for every degree of steering axis inclination, there will be the same amount of positive camber, and for every degree of positive caster, there will be the same amount of negative camber. Using specific measurements of camber, caster, and SAI, it is concluded that when the wheel is turned 30 degrees, there should be a +2.6 degree change in camber. However, the individual notes that this does not seem to be the case in practice and seeks further
krekquel
hello :)

hopefully i will be able to explain my question clearly.

i am trying to understand the effect that caster angles and steering axis inclination have on the camber angle of a wheel. imagine that we are looking at the left front wheel and turning it 90 degrees to the right (theoretically). the way i imagine it to work...

1. every degree of SAI (steering axis inclination) i have will translate to the same number of degrees of POSITIVE camber when the wheel is turned 90 degrees.
2. every degree of positive caster i have will translate to the same number of degrees of NEGATIVE camber when the wheel is turned 90 degrees.

correct so far?

if so...

let's assume the following about the front wheels of a vehicle:
camber = -2.5 degrees
castor = +1.5 degrees
SAI = 17 degrees

now... if i turn the wheels of the car are turned 30 degrees... i would expect the following to happen:

i would expect a +5.6 change in camber because of the steering axis (17 x 30/90)
i would expect a -0.5 change in camber because of the castor (1.5 x 30 / 90)

resulting in +2.6 degrees of camber when the wheel is turned 30 degrees.

but that can't be right. when i look at the wheel... it most definitely does not look 2.6 degrees tilted out.

so what am i missing here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
perhaps i am being impatient... anyone? :(

Hello,

Great question! The effect of caster angles and steering axis inclination on camber angle can be a bit tricky to understand. You are correct in your understanding that every degree of SAI will result in the same number of degrees of positive camber when the wheel is turned 90 degrees, and every degree of positive caster will result in the same number of degrees of negative camber when the wheel is turned 90 degrees. However, the key factor you are missing in your calculation is the wheel's kingpin inclination.

The kingpin inclination is the angle between the steering axis and the centerline of the wheel. This angle is determined by the vehicle's design and cannot be adjusted. When the wheel is turned, the kingpin inclination also affects the camber angle. In your example, with a SAI of 17 degrees, a caster of 1.5 degrees, and a kingpin inclination of 5 degrees, the resulting camber angle when the wheel is turned 30 degrees would actually be around +2.2 degrees (not accounting for any suspension geometry changes).

Additionally, other factors such as suspension geometry, tire flex, and road conditions can also affect the camber angle. Overall, the effects of caster and SAI on camber angle can be complex and may require further calculations or measurements to accurately determine the resulting camber angle at a given wheel position.

I hope this helps clarify your question. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy learning!

1. What is the purpose of an automotive suspension?

The purpose of an automotive suspension is to absorb shock and vibration from the road surface, allowing for a smoother and more comfortable ride for the passengers.

2. What are the components of an automotive suspension?

The main components of an automotive suspension include springs, shock absorbers, control arms, and anti-roll bars.

3. How does a suspension affect a vehicle's handling?

A suspension plays a crucial role in a vehicle's handling by providing stability, steering control, and preventing excessive body roll during turns.

4. How often should a suspension be inspected and maintained?

It is recommended to have a suspension inspected and maintained every 50,000 miles or as per the manufacturer's recommendations. However, it is important to also have it checked if you notice any unusual noises, vibrations, or changes in handling.

5. What are some signs of a failing suspension?

Some common signs of a failing suspension include uneven tire wear, excessive bouncing or dipping while driving, difficulty steering, and unusual noises such as squeaking or clunking.