WinXP Pro: Get Rid of Default Folders

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary, you can delete default folders in Windows XP Pro by right-clicking on the folder and selecting "Delete" or using the Command Prompt. It is safe to delete these folders as long as you don't need the contents and you should always create a backup before doing so. Permanently deleted folders cannot be recovered, but they can be restored from the Recycle Bin. To hide default folders, you can use the "Hidden" option in the folder's Properties. Default folders are created to organize and store important system files and data, and it is not recommended to delete or modify them unless you are an experienced user.
aychamo
Hey guys

My WinXPPro constantly makes "My Music", "My eBooks", and "My Pictures" folders.. I hate these. Is there anyway to get rid of them (to have windows quit making them upon each boot?)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried to see if Tweakui can remove it?

Possibly useful: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1016956995 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I delete default folders in Windows XP Pro?

To delete default folders in Windows XP Pro, you can right-click on the folder and select "Delete" or press the "Delete" key on your keyboard. You can also use the Command Prompt to delete the folder using the "rd" command followed by the name of the folder.

2. Is it safe to delete default folders in Windows XP Pro?

Yes, it is safe to delete default folders in Windows XP Pro as long as you are certain that you no longer need the contents of the folder. However, it is always recommended to create a backup of important files before deleting any folders.

3. Can I recover deleted default folders in Windows XP Pro?

If you have permanently deleted the folders, they cannot be recovered. However, if you have only deleted the folders to the Recycle Bin, you can easily restore them by right-clicking on the folder and selecting "Restore" or by using the "Ctrl + Z" shortcut.

4. How can I hide default folders in Windows XP Pro?

To hide default folders in Windows XP Pro, you can right-click on the folder and select "Properties." In the General tab, check the box next to "Hidden" and click "Apply." The folder will now be hidden from view. To unhide the folder, simply uncheck the box and click "Apply."

5. Why are default folders created in Windows XP Pro?

Default folders are created in Windows XP Pro to organize and store important system files and user data. These folders are created during the installation process and are necessary for the proper functioning of the operating system. It is not recommended to delete or modify these folders unless you are an experienced user and know exactly what you are doing.