Smell of Spiders: Exploring the Mystery

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary: The Bird-dropping Spider also uses mimicry of a quite different sort to capture its prey, which consist almost exclusively of male moths. At night the Bird-dropping Spider hangs from the edge of a leaf or twig on a short silk thread, its forelegs outstretched. While doing this it releases a chemical scent (pheromone) that mimics the airborne sex pheromone released by female moths to attract their mates. The unfortunate male moths that are attracted by the spider's deceiving pheromone eventually flutter close enough to the spider to be grabbed by its strong front legs.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The other day I was clearing out some stuff for a dump run when I noticed the smell of spiders. And sure enough they were there - a bunch of biggons.

I remember this smell from my childhood when I would sometimes play with spiders. I liked to feed them flies and moths so that I could watch them attack and eat. :tongue2:

But then I began to wonder about this: What is that smell?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
It is rather pungent and makes me think of a poisons like insecticides. Also, it seems that I mostly notice it around large garden spiders.

Last edited:
I've never noticed a smell of spiders. Do you have to be a gray to smell it? :biggrin:

Possibly it's a pheromone they secrete, or maybe it's not really the spiders, per se, but the decaying bodies of insects they've captured? Do spiders secrete anything that would "bait" other insects to the web? I don't know if they rely entirely on chance and a good location to get insects trapped in their webs, or if they have some sort of attractant that helps lure them to it.

These spider threads are freaking me out! :yuck:

We've always had a spider problem at PF. Slurp spider infestations are common.

Math Is Hard said:
Slurp spider infestations are common.
Math_Is_Hardcore,can you elaborate that?

tehno said:
Math_Is_Hardcore,can you elaborate that?

They're just web crawlers. Search engines use 'em for indexing. Apparently they are smarter than they used to be...

http://www.searchengineposition.com/info/articles/YahooReleaseNewCrawler.asp

one really smart one even joined PF and posted for a while! (sorry, I can no longer find that link - it was verrry funny :rofl: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I've never noticed a smell of spiders. Do you have to be a gray to smell it? :biggrin:

I KNEW that YOU were going to say that! :rofl:

Possibly it's a pheromone they secrete, or maybe it's not really the spiders, per se, but the decaying bodies of insects they've captured? Do spiders secrete anything that would "bait" other insects to the web? I don't know if they rely entirely on chance and a good location to get insects trapped in their webs, or if they have some sort of attractant that helps lure them to it.

I remember thinking as a kid that I was smelling the venom. :biggrin:

The idea of a scent intended to attract prey is interesting.

Yikes enough with the spider threads lol. I would imagine it is just a pheromone they are producing.Some spiders will secrete a pheremone that attracts insects, one seems particularily effective against male moths:

"The Bird-dropping Spider also uses mimicry of a quite different sort to capture its prey, which consist almost exclusively of male moths. At night the Bird-dropping Spider hangs from the edge of a leaf or twig on a short silk thread, its forelegs outstretched. While doing this it releases a chemical scent (pheromone) that mimics the airborne sex pheromone released by female moths to attract their mates. The unfortunate male moths that are attracted by the spider's deceiving pheromone eventually flutter close enough to the spider to be grabbed by its strong front legs."

http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/bird_dropping_spider.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "smell of spiders"?

The "smell of spiders" is a term used to describe the distinctive odor that is often associated with spiders. This smell is actually a combination of various chemical compounds secreted by spiders, including pheromones and other defensive chemicals.

2. Why do spiders have a distinct smell?

Spiders have a distinct smell for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons is for communication, as they use their pheromones to attract mates and warn off predators. Additionally, spiders also use their scent to mark their territory and leave a trail to find their way back home.

3. Do all spiders have the same smell?

No, not all spiders have the same smell. The scent of a spider can vary depending on its species, age, and gender. Some species of spiders may have a stronger or more pungent smell than others.

4. Can humans detect the smell of spiders?

Yes, humans can detect the smell of spiders, but it may not be as strong or noticeable as it is for other animals. Some people may also be more sensitive to certain scents and may be able to detect the smell of spiders more easily than others.

5. Is the smell of spiders harmful to humans?

No, the smell of spiders is not harmful to humans. In fact, many people may not even notice it at all. However, if you are allergic to spiders or have a fear of them, the smell may trigger a reaction or make you feel uneasy.