Can a Math Training Software Improve Your Mathematical Skills?

• Thread starter Dissonance in E
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a program that can train and keep track of performance in mathematics, with one user suggesting the idea of creating their own program. The discussion also includes recommendations for books and the importance of self-learning through problem-solving. The original poster also mentions wanting to solidify their pre-calculus skills before delving into calculus.
Dissonance in E
Hey, does anyone knwo of a program that can train you in different basic fields of mathematics, and preferably keep track of performance statistics, so pin-pointing individual weaknesses would be easier?
I would find this kind of a program very useful and more motivating than simply going through problems in books.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know what would be even more motivating and useful to you? Writing your own such program. :smile:

- Warren

I !WISH! I could do that. Btw, how hard is programming to learn. I would love to be able to grasp at least the basics of it. I had Netbeans on my other computer but I kind of lost interest in it as i had no idea what to do with it hahah...

Well, let me ask: what level of math are you trying to test yourself on? Are we talking arithmetic, or calculus?

- Warren

Mostly calc foundations and eventually (meaning pretty soon... meaning in a few weeks) basic calc.

Have you considered simply getting a good book of problems? Schaum's outlines are great, and cheap.

- Warren

Well like I said \, id be more keen to work with a program that can actually guide me through the material and keep track of progress, if such a program even exists.
However in the likely case of me not finding one, I'll probably end up getting a book. Does Schaum's book explain how to do the individual problems step by step? I am looking for something that REALLY breaks the problems down as i want to make sure I understand everything I need to...

Dissonance in E said:
Well like I said \, id be more keen to work with a program that can actually guide me through the material and keep track of progress, if such a program even exists.

I may say, such programme is very very unlikely to exist. Games, and applicants are the 2 most common types of programmes. Training software is rare, you can find a Teach You How To type software easily. But, honestly, I haven't heard of this kind of Math-Training programme. :frown:

However in the likely case of me not finding one, I'll probably end up getting a book. Does Schaum's book explain how to do the individual problems step by step? I am looking for something that REALLY breaks the problems down as i want to make sure I understand everything I need to...

Yup, books are good. :approve:

Most books will guide you through the concept, as well as, show you to do some basic examples step by step. Some may also show you the results of odd-numbered problems.

There are books that show you complete solutions to each problem. Well, I don't think they are good at all. You won't learn much from them. After all, you should do problem on your own, eh? If you stuck somewhere, you can always ask your prof, or PFers. :smile:

We are always willing to help you. :)

Well i have Robert Adam's "Calculus: a complete course" with the addiional solution book with somewhat of a guidance through the problems. However I was hoping to solidify my pre calc before getting too into it. Anyhow ty for the answers. Il drop chuck some posts your way if i need help.
Thanks guys.

books never dies

1. What is a math trainer soft/freeware?

A math trainer soft/freeware is a computer program or application that is designed to help users improve their mathematical skills through various exercises and drills. It is often available for free download and can be used on different devices such as computers, tablets, and smartphones.

2. How does a math trainer soft/freeware work?

A math trainer soft/freeware typically presents users with a variety of math problems and exercises, ranging from basic arithmetic to more advanced concepts. Users can choose the type of problems they want to practice and the difficulty level. The software tracks the user's progress and provides feedback and explanations for incorrect answers.

3. What are the benefits of using a math trainer soft/freeware?

Using a math trainer soft/freeware can help improve mathematical skills and knowledge, increase speed and accuracy in solving math problems, and build confidence in tackling mathematical challenges. It can also be a fun and engaging way to practice math, especially for children.

4. Is there a specific age range for using a math trainer soft/freeware?

No, there is no specific age range for using a math trainer soft/freeware. It can be used by anyone who wants to improve their math skills, from young children to adults. The difficulty levels and types of exercises can be adjusted to suit the user's needs and abilities.

5. Are there any limitations to using a math trainer soft/freeware?

The limitations of using a math trainer soft/freeware depend on the specific program and its features. Some programs may have a limited range of exercises or may not cover certain mathematical concepts. It is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your learning goals and needs.