This question is only meant for the professionals

• Thread starter tarekkkkk
  • Start date
In summary, according to an observer at rest, the collision will occur at time t=0 for both spaceships. However, according to an observer on spaceship A, the collision will occur at time t=1, while according to an observer on spaceship B, the collision will occur at time t=2.
tarekkkkk
Modern physics special relativity

Homework Statement

Two spaceships,A and B move toward each other on a head-on collision course,According to an observer at rest,both spaceships have a velocity of 0.6c along the x-axis.At the time of observation(t=0),spaceship A has the same x value (x=0) as the observer,and spaceship B is at a distance of 100 km away from him.

At what time will the collision occur for the observer at rest and for an observer on spaceship A?

Homework Equations

my thought ok don't laugh... T=(2L/c)/((1-v/c)/(1+v/c))^(1/2) for the spaceship A
and T=(2L/c)/(1-v^2/c^2)^(!/2) for the observer at rest and L= 50 km when the collision happen thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well thanks no one can solve it what can i say this question is meant for the professionals lol

Use the formula for relative velocities (within Special Relativity)

I don't quite understand how you arrived at those answers. Rather than just give your final conclusion, explain your thinking step by step.

tarekkkkk said:
well thanks no one can solve it what can i say this question is meant for the professionals lol
You're the one who has to solve it, not me! (I can solve it just fine. :wink:)

relative velocities what do you mean by that there's F ,T ,Energies ,... but V i can't find it i have this book concepts of modern physics 6 th edition i can't find it thanks in advance please help!

ok never mind my answer is wrong or right if yes i will explain it don't worry my doctor will ask me the same thing uve asked and if yes i will reply how i thought about it if no let me think again about the question...

Here's a hint: Distance = speed * time. From the observer at rest's point of view, what the distance that each ship must travel and what's the speed of each ship? From ship A's point of view, how far away is ship B and how fast is it coming at him? (That's the relative speed.)

From the observer at rest's point of view, what the distance that each ship must travel and what's the speed of each ship?
50 km,0.6c
From ship A's point of view, how far away is ship B and how fast is it coming at him?
100km,0.6c
ok but what's the formula i have to use it d=vt no thers another one what it is thanks in advance

tarekkkkk said:
From the observer at rest's point of view, what the distance that each ship must travel and what's the speed of each ship?
50 km,0.6c
That's correct. That's all you need to solve for the time.
From ship A's point of view, how far away is ship B and how fast is it coming at him?
100km,0.6c
Incorrect: For the distance, consider length contraction; for the speed, consider the relativistic addition of velocity to find the relative speed.

Thank youuuuuu ok L=L0(1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2) for length contration ok for the velocity i will try my best to find out how it will change any other hint it will be great (for the speed) thank youuuuuuuuu

i have to use relativistic momentum ?

0.6c +0.6c but >c what can i do ?

i have to use this formula vx=(0.6+0.6)/(1+0.6^2) ?

ok vx=0 !{*_*}!

tarekkkkk said:
i have to use this formula vx=(0.6+0.6)/(1+0.6^2) ?
That's the one.

yoooooooooopiiiiiiii thank you then the answer for observer at rest T=50km/0.6c
and for the observer at A is T= (l=50km((1-0.6^2)^1/2))/0=infinty if yes I am going to give a big thanksssssss

loooooooollllllllll i thought vx=0 think again

my mistake the answer is ? for observer at rest T=50km/0.6c
and for the observer at A is T= (l=50km((1-0.6^2)^1/2))/(vx=(0.6+0.6)/(1+0.6^2)) if yes I am going to give a big thanksssssss

just tell me if yes or no because its 10:00 pm over here and tomorow i have to give it to my doctor no offense but thank you just tell me yes and i will study more...

lol i will take that for a silent yes thank youuuuuuuuuuu

correction

tarekkkkk said:
for observer at rest T=50km/0.6c
Right.
and for the observer at A is T= (l=50km((1-0.6^2)^1/2))/(vx=(0.6+0.6)/(1+0.6^2))
I was going to say almost right, but I'm afraid we neglected a key factor of this problem. (Almost right because from A's viewpoint, B must cover the entire distance not half of it.) While the relative velocity is correct, and the idea of length contraction is also correct, what is not correct is the idea that A agrees with the rest observer that B is at position x=100 km when A passes x=0. According to A, by the time A passes x=0, B has already passed the point x=100km and thus is even closer.

The efficient way to solve for the time that the collision occurs according to A is to make use of the Lorentz transformation:
[tex]\Delta t' = \gamma(\Delta t - v\Delta x/c^2)[/tex]

(I realize that this is a bit subtle if you are just learning special relativity. But that's the way it is.)

ok deltaT=T of observer at rest
v=Vx(0.6+0.6)/(1+0.6^2))=0.88c
and for the gamma the v inside it =0.88c ?
deltaX= (l=50km((1-0.6^2)^1/2))/
thanks in advance

man what to do hm.m...

tarekkkkk said:
ok deltaT=T of observer at rest
v=Vx(0.6+0.6)/(1+0.6^2))=0.88c
and for the gamma the v inside it =0.88c ?
deltaX= (l=50km((1-0.6^2)^1/2))/
thanks in advance
What you are transforming are [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and [itex]\Delta t[/itex] according to the rest observer to the time ([itex]\Delta t'[/itex]) according to the A observer. So we need their relative velocity, which is 0.6c.

Here's a simpler way to see what's going on: The collision takes place at x = 50 km, so all we need to figure out is the time it takes for A to reach that point (according to A). This is just Distance/speed as seen by A. The speed is 0.6c and the distance is length contracted. (This gives the same answer as using the Lorentz transformation above, of course.)

ok thank you doctor womorow i will give it to my doctor and i will tell what happened with me thank you ...

1. What is the purpose of this question being directed towards professionals?

The purpose of this question being directed towards professionals is to gather information and insights from individuals who have expertise and experience in the relevant field. This allows for a more informed and accurate response to the question.

2. How do you define a "professional" in the context of this question?

In this context, a professional refers to someone who has formal education, training, and experience in a specific field or subject. They are considered experts and have a deep understanding of the topic at hand.

3. Can non-professionals also provide valuable insights on this question?

While professionals may have the most expertise on the topic, non-professionals can also offer valuable insights based on their personal experiences or perspectives. However, their responses may not be as comprehensive or accurate as those of professionals.

4. Are the responses from professionals on this question considered as facts?

No, the responses from professionals should not be considered as absolute facts. They are based on their knowledge and understanding of the topic, but it is always important to critically evaluate and verify information from multiple sources.

5. Is it appropriate to ask this question to professionals outside of their field?

It is generally not appropriate to ask professionals outside of their field as they may not have the necessary expertise or knowledge to provide an accurate response. It is better to seek out professionals who specialize in the specific area related to the question.