Calculate the solenoid dimension

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the thickness of a solenoid given its length, magnetic field strength, and current. Various formulas and resources are discussed, but it is ultimately concluded that the thickness depends on the number of loops, which is not given. Therefore, the thickness cannot be calculated without first determining the number of loops.
mdpai
Hi to all,

I have a problem to share with you guys.

How can I calculate the thickness of my solenoid if I have these values;

Solenoid long : 20cm
magnetic field, B : 5Tesla
Current, I : 20A

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate that

Engineering news on Phys.org
5T, yeah I know , it's a lot. is it possible?

B=μnI this is only valid if the proportion between the thickness and the longeur is huge.

mdpai said:
5T, yeah I know , it's a lot. is it possible?

Since stronger magnets have been built, it's possible.
Within any construction constraints you might have, no idea.
Good luck with that.

At which place is regarding to solenoid [tex]B=5\;T[/tex]?

For example,formula for [tex]B[/tex] in center of solenoid is:

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0NI}{\sqrt{4R^2+l^2}}[/tex]

R A V E N said:
At which place is regarding to solenoid [tex]B=5\;T[/tex]?

For example,formula for [tex]B[/tex] in center of solenoid is:

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0NI}{\sqrt{4R^2+l^2}}[/tex]

It's in the air at the center of the solenoid.

p/s:
I found a formula

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0NI}{\sqrt{R^2+l^2}}[/tex]

So now I confuse, it's 4R^2 or R^2?

You are right,it is error in my book.But still you don`t have [tex]N[/tex] given.:confused:

the thickness of the solenoid depends on the value of N. So, I don't know if we have to calculate N first or, directly calculate the value of the thickness

mdpai said:
the thickness of the solenoid depends on the value of N.

:confused:

[tex]N[/tex] is number of loops.

1. How do I calculate the solenoid dimension?

To calculate the solenoid dimension, you will need to measure the length and diameter of the solenoid and use the formula: L = (4πN²r²)/(μA), where L is the length of the solenoid, N is the number of turns, r is the radius, μ is the permeability, and A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the solenoid dimension?

Calculating the solenoid dimension is important for designing and building electromagnets and other devices that use solenoids. It helps to determine the size and shape of the solenoid and ensure that it will function properly.

3. What factors affect the solenoid dimension?

The solenoid dimension can be affected by various factors such as the number of turns, the current flowing through the solenoid, the permeability of the core material, and the desired strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the solenoid dimension for different types of solenoids?

Yes, the formula for calculating the solenoid dimension is applicable to most types of solenoids. However, the specific values for the variables may vary depending on the design and purpose of the solenoid.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for calculating the solenoid dimension?

While the formula is a good starting point for calculating the solenoid dimension, it may not be accurate for more complex solenoid designs or when there are other factors at play. It is always best to consult with an expert or conduct experiments to determine the most precise dimensions for your specific solenoid.