Computer Engineering or Computer Science Program

In summary, if you're a freshman and declared into computer engineering, you can get by with some courses in math and programming. If you're more interested in CS, you'll need to take some physics courses and be more physically active.
nick1760
My university offers 2 programs that I am interested in; Computer Engineering and Computer Science. I am currently a freshman, and recently declared into Computer Engineering. After some more thinking, however, I can't figure out if it will be the right choice, or if Computer Science is what's really right for me. I can get by next term with courses that fulfill either degree, but I need to make a choice by the term after that.

Here's my thought process:
I've always done computer science type stuff on my own (programming since I was little)
I've always ALSO been interested in computer engineering (wanted to play with microprocessors and such)
I like some subjects in math (multivariable calculus and differential equations are somewhat interesting to me, already took both)
Not sure about physics yet... I am in Mechanical/Newtonian physics right now and am doing very average in the class, which is rare for me (and doesn't feel good!)
I haven't taken Electricity and Magnetism yet (next term), but I have heard it is hard.

The reason I'm considering switching to Computer Science is because I'm worried about the physics, signal processing, etc. I know that I am good at programming concepts, and I know that I am not as good at physical science concepts.

Hopefully this is enough to get a small picture of my interests and abilities... I thank you for any input you might have!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your school. Some that I've applied to require only basic physics for computer engineering and lots for computer science, while others might be just the opposite. At the school I'll be attending, a CE is just an EE with advanced programming experience so I probably won't be able to avoid physics (I don't really mind). Again, check with your school.

nick1760 said:
My university offers 2 programs that I am interested in; Computer Engineering and Computer Science. I am currently a freshman, and recently declared into Computer Engineering. After some more thinking, however, I can't figure out if it will be the right choice, or if Computer Science is what's really right for me. I can get by next term with courses that fulfill either degree, but I need to make a choice by the term after that.

Here's my thought process:
I've always done computer science type stuff on my own (programming since I was little)
I've always ALSO been interested in computer engineering (wanted to play with microprocessors and such)
I like some subjects in math (multivariable calculus and differential equations are somewhat interesting to me, already took both)
Not sure about physics yet... I am in Mechanical/Newtonian physics right now and am doing very average in the class, which is rare for me (and doesn't feel good!)
I haven't taken Electricity and Magnetism yet (next term), but I have heard it is hard.

The reason I'm considering switching to Computer Science is because I'm worried about the physics, signal processing, etc. I know that I am good at programming concepts, and I know that I am not as good at physical science concepts.

Hopefully this is enough to get a small picture of my interests and abilities... I thank you for any input you might have!

It sounds like you want to do computer engineering but are worried about it being too hard. It might be harder for you than CS, but that just means you'll need to work a bit harder. If you're doing well in your math classes, signal processing should be alright for you. In classes like E&M, you'll just need to step up your game. It's worth it if that is what you're interested in.

What is the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

Computer Engineering focuses on the physical design and development of computer hardware and software systems, while Computer Science focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of computing and programming. Computer Engineers may work on designing and building computer components, while Computer Scientists may focus on developing algorithms and software applications.

What courses are typically included in a Computer Engineering or Computer Science program?

Courses in a Computer Engineering program may include digital logic, computer architecture, programming languages, and operating systems. A Computer Science program may include courses on data structures, algorithms, software engineering, and computer networks.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of a Computer Engineering or Computer Science program?

Graduates of a Computer Engineering or Computer Science program may pursue careers as software engineers, hardware engineers, computer programmers, web developers, data analysts, or systems analysts. They may work in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, or government.

What skills are important for success in a Computer Engineering or Computer Science program?

Some essential skills for success in a Computer Engineering or Computer Science program include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, mathematical proficiency, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills. Knowledge of programming languages and familiarity with computer systems and software are also necessary.

What are some emerging trends in the field of Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

Some emerging trends in the field of Computer Engineering and Computer Science include artificial intelligence, machine learning, cybersecurity, virtual and augmented reality, and the Internet of Things. These technologies are rapidly advancing and creating new opportunities for innovation and application in various industries.