Limits in infinite unions of sets

In summary, the set of all numbers that have terminating decimal expansions is countable, but the set of all numbers between 0 and 1 is not.
clamtrox
Suppose I define sets [itex]D_n = \lbrace x \in [0,1] | [/itex] x has an n-digit long binary expansion [itex]\rbrace [/itex].

Now consider [itex]\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} D_n[/itex]. This is just the set of Dyadic rationals and therefore countable for sure.

Now for the question: is this equal to [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n[/itex]? Clearly we have [itex] D_1 \subset D_2 \subset ... \subset D_n [/itex] so I am tempted to think of this as [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} D_n [/itex]. If I am allowed to take the limit, then it would seem that [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n = [0,1][/itex]. Where am I doing a naughty physicist mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
clamtrox said:
Suppose I define sets [itex]D_n = \lbrace x \in [0,1] | [/itex] x has an n-digit long binary expansion [itex]\rbrace [/itex].

Now consider [itex]\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} D_n[/itex]. This is just the set of Dyadic rationals and therefore countable for sure.

Now for the question: is this equal to [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n[/itex]? Clearly we have [itex] D_1 \subset D_2 \subset ... \subset D_n [/itex] so I am tempted to think of this as [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} D_n [/itex]. If I am allowed to take the limit, then it would seem that [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n = [0,1][/itex].
How do you conclude this? It looks to me like this would be the set of all numbers that have terminating decimal expansions which is a subset of the rational numbers in [0, 1].

Where am I doing a naughty physicist mistake?

clamtrox said:

Now for the question: is this equal to [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n[/itex]? Clearly we have [itex] D_1 \subset D_2 \subset ... \subset D_n [/itex] so I am tempted to think of this as [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} D_n [/itex]. If I am allowed to take the limit, then it would seem that [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n = [0,1][/itex]. Where am I doing a naughty physicist mistake?

Which D_n contains .10101010...? In fact what you proved is that the set of rationals with terminating binary expansion is countable.

Let me rephrase this slightly: I can write any real number between 0 and 1 in binary expansion, and therefore
[itex] [0,1] = \lbrace x | x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace \rbrace. [/itex]
Why am I not allowed to equate this with the union of sets
[itex] D_m = \lbrace x |x = \sum_{n=0}^{m} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace [/itex],
[itex] D = \bigcup_{m=0}^{\infty} D_m = \lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} D_m \neq [0,1] [/itex] ?

clamtrox said:
Let me rephrase this slightly: I can write any real number between 0 and 1 in binary expansion, and therefore
[itex] [0,1] = \lbrace x | x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace \rbrace. [/itex]
Why am I not allowed to equate this with the union of sets
[itex] D_m = \lbrace x |x = \sum_{n=0}^{m} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace [/itex],
[itex] D = \bigcup_{m=0}^{\infty} D_m = \lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} D_m \neq [0,1] [/itex] ?

Again, which [itex]D_m[/itex] contains x=0.1010101010101010101... ?

Remember that x being in the union means that it is an element of one of the sets. So if [itex]x\in \bigcup D_n[/itex], then [itex]x\in D_n[/itex] for an n. Does there exist such an n?

micromass said:
Again, which [itex]D_m[/itex] contains x=0.1010101010101010101... ?

Remember that x being in the union means that it is an element of one of the sets. So if [itex]x\in \bigcup D_n[/itex], then [itex]x\in D_n[/itex] for an n. Does there exist such an n?

Thanks, got it! :)

1. What is the definition of a limit in infinite unions of sets?

A limit in infinite unions of sets refers to the maximum or minimum value that a set of numbers or objects approaches as the number of sets in the union increases towards infinity. It is denoted by the symbol ∞.

2. How is a limit in infinite unions of sets calculated?

The limit in infinite unions of sets is calculated by taking the largest or smallest element from each set in the union and then determining the maximum or minimum value from this set of elements.

3. What is the significance of limits in infinite unions of sets in mathematics?

Limits in infinite unions of sets are important in many mathematical concepts, such as calculus and topology. They help to define the behavior of functions and sets as they approach infinity, and are essential in understanding the properties of infinite sequences and series.

4. Can a limit in infinite unions of sets be infinite?

Yes, a limit in infinite unions of sets can be infinite. This occurs when the elements in the sets being considered become infinitely large or small, resulting in a limit that approaches infinity or negative infinity.

5. Are there any real-life applications of limits in infinite unions of sets?

Yes, limits in infinite unions of sets have many real-life applications, particularly in science and engineering. For example, they are used to model the behavior of natural phenomena such as population growth, and to analyze the properties of complex systems with infinitely many components.