Hobbit Movie - Thoughts & Trailer Analysis

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the new Hobbit movie is hard to judge because there is not much footage released yet. Some people are worried about how unique each dwarf will be, but Jackson has always delivered in the past. The music is perfect and the horror and suspense genres are not my cup of tea, but I am still excited for the movie.
Jimmy Snyder said:
As others have said, the movie contains stories that are not found in the book, but rather in other books. In addition, even when the story is from the book, it is altered in various ways.

This I understand, but the entire plot, which is like a huge part of the movie, where Azgoth is hunting down the dwarves and they have all these battles is completely made up. Why was that neccessary? Why wasn't the actual plot good enough, without adding more "action" to it?

Jimmy Snyder said:
However, there is one deviation in particular that I think unwise. The book is about Bilbo. The name of the book isn't "A Hobbit", it's "The Hobbit", and Bilbo is the hobbit. Gandalf tells the dwarfs (and the reader) that there is more to Bilbo than meets the eye. As the book progresses, the dwarfs come to respect him more and more. That respect is fickle though and grows in fits and starts throughout the book. How is that going to happen now that Bilbo has saved Thorin's life, a scene that is not in the book?

I agree with this completely. Plus that entire scene was extremely corny and had me groaning the whole time. I'm really put off by how Bilbo is portrayed in this movie alltogether.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the book; Bilbo IS completely useless until the Spiders.
He:
1. Makes a major mistake of not telling the dwarves that trolls are near by (instead, he fancies himself a Grand Thief, and gets promptly caught).
2. He rolls off Dori's back during the flight through the caves
3. He constantly moans about his missing handkerchiefs
4. He is too flustered by the Wargs to help hiimself into a tree; Dori is almost sacrificing himself for the sake of Bilbo's rescue.
And so on.

Clearly, PJ could NOT retain this image of Bilbo in the first part; Bilbo had to be gicven SOME scenes showing his resourcefulness, much earlier than in the books.

I'm glad I read the book 40 years ago, have not yet seen the movie, nor read any of the posts since Greg posted the intro-vid from October.

Skimmed them... "Sucks!", "Blows!", "Et Cetera!, Et Cetera!, Et Cetera!"

ps. Thank you Janus, for being my next door, nota"Good Golly, Miss Molly"tard neighbor. :smile:

arildno said:
Bilbo had to be gicven SOME scenes showing his resourcefulness, much earlier than in the books.

Agreed. Otherwise this first movie is extremely frustrating and unsatisfying. I think he had a good mixture.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Agreed. Otherwise this first movie is extremely frustrating and unsatisfying. I think he had a good mixture.

Books? I only ever read "The Hobbit". I tried reading the others. Never got past page 5. Tolkein was a one trick pony for me. Thank god for Peter Jackson.

arildno said:
Clearly, PJ could NOT retain this image of Bilbo in the first part; Bilbo had to be gicven SOME scenes showing his resourcefulness, much earlier than in the books.
Why does the movie need it if the book doesn't? And why does the need for SOME result in the provision of TOO MUCH? It removes one of the main themes of the book from the movie unless Thorin intends to be fickle in his respect for someone who has saved his life.

dipole said:
[...] but the entire plot, which is like a huge part of the movie, where Azgoth is hunting down the dwarves and they have all these battles is completely made up. Why was that necessary?
Jackson's obviously setting up a momentous fight in the 3rd film during the Battle of Five Armies where Thorin will fight and finally defeat Azog (or more likely die trying). In the original Tolkien, Azog was killed by Nain, (Dain Ironfoot's father). His son, Bolg, led the orcs in the Bo5A, but was killed there by Beorn, not one of the dwarves.

Jackson seems to be making too much of a hero out of Thorin. In the original book, he came across rather self-important, selfishly wealth-lusting and stubborn, although he did contribute to the Bo5A to some extent. One of the contrasts between Thorin and Bilbo was that, in the end, Bilbo declined a potentially vast share of the treasure and only took a small amount home.

Anyway, all this chasing around by orcs-on-wargs in BROAD DAYLIGHT is yet another betrayal of Tolkien's mythos.

Why wasn't the actual plot good enough, without adding more "action" to it?
Because then it wouldn't have been a Peter Jackson movie. :-)

Hmmm, can anyone even recall a PJ movie that succeeded by subtle mood and character development? I only seem to remember "BIG", then "BIGGER", then "EVEN BIGGER..." :-)

Jimmy Snyder said:
Why does the movie need it if the book doesn't? And why does the need for SOME result in the provision of TOO MUCH? It removes one of the main themes of the book from the movie unless Thorin intends to be fickle in his respect for someone who has saved his life.
Because a book can be amusingly told with details of Bilbo's inner world from his perspective, that the reader can at times agree with, at others laugh at.

The Hobbit, in contrast to LoTr, has an individual's inner-life as its primary focus (i.e, Bilbo's), rather than the actions and interactions between characters.

Too much cartoons, not enough Hobbit.

For me its good film but Lord Of The Ring was better :)

I'm not a big LOTR fan. I was extremely meh about 1st LOTR film. Other films definitely got better. I was asked to attend Hobbit in Hi-frame 3D by a huge LOTR fan. I enjoyed it, but I think mostly for the same reason that I actually enjoy looking over someone's shoulder while they play Halo or other video games. It was like seeing a breathtaking demonstration of an amazing new video game technology. I liked it about the same the 2nd time (also in Hi-frame 3D). BTW my favorite films are 2001, Alien, SW+ESB, Repo Man, Bedazzled (1967) if that lends any perspective.

I saw it a few days ago. It was a nice display of computer graphics. But the story was mostly rubbish. I'm tired of movies where the protagonist and his group are basically just running for their lives the entire movie. That entire group was pretty useless. Each time Gandalf left them alone, they almost got themselves killed. Why did he even bring them along?

There were also too many scenes where they simply couldn't have survived. They're walking through the mountains when the mountains suddenly decide to stand up and beat each other to death for no apparent reason. It would have been impossible to survive that. The fall they took in the cave wasn't survivable either.

There were too many scenes were we were supposed to go "oooooohh it's that character". I know that this works really well on 13-year-olds, but I'm not 13.

As others have said, it was too long. I might not have minded if there had been other things going on instead of just chase scenes and fight scenes.

Fredrik said:
There were also too many scenes where they simply couldn't have survived. They're walking through the mountains when the mountains suddenly decide to stand up and beat each other to death for no apparent reason. It would have been impossible to survive that. The fall they took in the cave wasn't survivable either.

That was the only scene I couldn't accept. For one it felt oddly placed and yeah it was just too much.

Fredrik said:

Yes I kept thinking that. This worked together with the graphics to cement the sensation of a video game taking place.

I give this movie the biggest credit in no totally fudging up the franchise as often times ends up happening in sequels and prequels and just leaves my poor soul broken hearted (I'm talking to you Lucas...). I thought the first LTORs were good. I thought this one was a bit boring. The only scene I liked was the troll scene. The rest was all just running away and stuff like others have mentioned and boring ups and downs in the plot. Nothing really new.

I must say I was quite disappointed with the Hobbit. I am a huge fan of Lotr; books and movies. The best thing about the Lotr movies was that it kept very much to the Tolkien spirit. However, the Hobbit was way to cartoony and over the top, something Tolkien never was. That is what made Lotr special, it was different from all the other fantasy stories; it's use of magic was subtle and the characters had depth. But Peter Jackson went way to over the top. I do love Martin Freeman as Bilbo (my favourite Tolkien character) and of course Sir Ian McKellen is always good and the Gollum scene was amazing but the acting can't make up for poor story telling.

And the candle lighting...poor shadowing, no flickering ect ect, I can handle fantasy story telling. But a candle casts shadows and flicker from the slightest breeze. That took the CGI to "over the top" imo.fun movie though, but I don't think it holds up to much scrutiny.

And then there's the candle that smolders for hours after the dwarves left. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDhsH79jAY

nitsuj said:
fun movie though, but I don't think it holds up to much scrutiny.

I should add that "holding up to scrutiny" is something typically expected for lore, perhaps the story does better.

<h2>1. What is the plot of the Hobbit movie?</h2><p>The Hobbit movie follows the journey of Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who is recruited by the wizard Gandalf to join a group of dwarves on a quest to reclaim their homeland from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they encounter various challenges and enemies, including goblins, trolls, and a mysterious creature named Gollum.</p><h2>2. How does the trailer compare to the book?</h2><p>The trailer for the Hobbit movie is loosely based on the book, but there are some differences. Some scenes and characters have been added or changed for cinematic purposes, and the timeline of events may be altered. However, the overall story and themes remain true to the book.</p><h2>3. Who are the main characters in the Hobbit movie?</h2><p>The main characters in the Hobbit movie include Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf the Grey, Thorin Oakenshield, and the Company of Dwarves. Other important characters include the elf Tauriel, the wizard Radagast, and the dragon Smaug.</p><h2>4. What is the significance of the Hobbit movie in the Lord of the Rings universe?</h2><p>The Hobbit movie serves as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It introduces important characters and events that set the stage for the epic journey of Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring. It also provides more context and background information on the world of Middle-earth.</p><h2>5. How does the visual effects and cinematography enhance the Hobbit movie?</h2><p>The Hobbit movie utilizes advanced visual effects and cinematography techniques to bring the fantastical world of Middle-earth to life. The stunning landscapes, intricate costumes, and lifelike creatures all contribute to the immersive experience of the film. The use of high frame rate technology also adds to the realism and intensity of the action sequences.</p>

1. What is the plot of the Hobbit movie?

The Hobbit movie follows the journey of Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who is recruited by the wizard Gandalf to join a group of dwarves on a quest to reclaim their homeland from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they encounter various challenges and enemies, including goblins, trolls, and a mysterious creature named Gollum.

2. How does the trailer compare to the book?

The trailer for the Hobbit movie is loosely based on the book, but there are some differences. Some scenes and characters have been added or changed for cinematic purposes, and the timeline of events may be altered. However, the overall story and themes remain true to the book.

3. Who are the main characters in the Hobbit movie?

The main characters in the Hobbit movie include Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf the Grey, Thorin Oakenshield, and the Company of Dwarves. Other important characters include the elf Tauriel, the wizard Radagast, and the dragon Smaug.

4. What is the significance of the Hobbit movie in the Lord of the Rings universe?

The Hobbit movie serves as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It introduces important characters and events that set the stage for the epic journey of Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring. It also provides more context and background information on the world of Middle-earth.

5. How does the visual effects and cinematography enhance the Hobbit movie?

The Hobbit movie utilizes advanced visual effects and cinematography techniques to bring the fantastical world of Middle-earth to life. The stunning landscapes, intricate costumes, and lifelike creatures all contribute to the immersive experience of the film. The use of high frame rate technology also adds to the realism and intensity of the action sequences.