Need a complete list of functions and thier inverses

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a complete list of functions and their inverses. It is mentioned that there are an infinite number of functions and it would be impossible to compile a complete list. The distinction between functions and operations is also discussed. The possibility of a list of opposite operations is mentioned, but the validity of the question is questioned. Ultimately, it is concluded that a complete list of functions and their inverses is not feasible.
Jeff12341234
I can't find this anywhere on google.

I'm looking for a complete list of functions and their inverses.
Here's a partial list as an example
*, /
+, -
e^x, ln(x)
sin(), sin^-1()
d/dx, ∫
etc..

Why isn't there a list of all of them? You would think that some mathematician would find joy in compiling one...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming...just assuming...that you aren't trolling.

There are an infinite amount of functions, and I'm going to take a gander and say that the vast majority of them do not have inverses.

There are, however, a relativity short list of 'common' functions, and I'm sure it is very easy to google a list of their inverses, though you've listed a number already.

I'll stress here that neither ##\frac{d}{dx}## nor ##\int## are functions, though they are inverse operations.
Nor are multiplication, division, addition or subtraction, they are all operations.

There are [itex]2^{2^{\aleph_0}}[/itex] functions from [itex]\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]

This means that the number of functions from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is not only infinite, but a number of degrees above the smallest possible infinity.

Thus, I fear that a complete list of functions would not be very feasible.

If you want a list of all possible function between all possible sets. Then I'm afraid that they don't even form a set. The number of functions form a proper class. This means that is quite larger than anything mathematics can handle. So a list would be rather impossible.

Vorde said:
I'll stress here that neither ##\frac{d}{dx}## nor ##\int## are functions, though they are inverse operations.
Nor are multiplication, division, addition or subtraction, they are all operations.

I would actually consider all those things as functions...

Vorde said:
Assuming...just assuming...that you aren't trolling.

ok. then what I'm looking for is a complete list of opposite operations.

Jeff12341234 said:
ok. then what I'm looking for is a complete list of opposite operations.

Still too large (= infinity).

no it's not. There are a few dozen we learn in algebra, another dozen from trig, only 2 from calc (d/dx and ∫ ), diff eq may add more to the list but I didn't notice any. you see? Get real. The question is not that hard. A list of opposite functions would be handy to have when solving for a variable in a complex algebraic equation.

Jeff12341234 said:
no it's not. There are a few dozen we learn in algebra, another dozen from trig, only 2 from calc (d/dx and ∫ ), diff eq may add more to the list but I didn't notice any. you see? Get real. The question is not that hard

So, you are saying that there are only a finite number of bijective functions in existence? Do you have any proof/evidence for that?

Anyway, the OP is just a troll, so I'm locking this.

What are functions and their inverses?

Functions and their inverses are mathematical concepts that involve two sets of numbers, known as the input and output sets. A function is a rule that assigns each element of the input set to a unique element in the output set. The inverse of a function is a rule that reverses the process of the original function, mapping each element of the output set back to its corresponding element in the input set.

Why is it important to have a complete list of functions and their inverses?

Having a complete list of functions and their inverses can be useful in solving mathematical problems and understanding relationships between different sets of numbers. It can also help in identifying patterns and making predictions in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

What are some common examples of functions and their inverses?

Some common examples of functions and their inverses include addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, and square and square root. Other examples include trigonometric functions and their inverses, such as sine and arcsine, cosine and arccosine, and tangent and arctangent.

How do you find the inverse of a given function?

To find the inverse of a given function, you can follow these steps: 1) Replace the function's output variable with x, and the input variable with y, 2) Solve for y in terms of x, 3) Switch the positions of x and y to get the inverse function, and 4) Verify the inverse by plugging in values for x and y and ensuring that the outputs are reversed.

What is the notation used to represent functions and their inverses?

The notation used to represent functions and their inverses is f(x) for the original function and f-1(x) for the inverse function. The superscript -1 indicates that it is the inverse function.