Confused about mole ratio being relative or absolute

In summary, the mole amounts in a chemical reaction are relative to each other, not absolute. A molar ratio is simply a ratio and can be used to determine the amount of each molecule produced or used in a reaction. Just because the reaction equation shows a certain number of moles, it does not mean that exact number of moles must be used. The molar ratio can be used to calculate the actual amounts produced or used.
Dorslek
Let's start with a generalized example:

3A + 1B -> 2C

For the mole amount next to each molecule, am I always to consider these as relative to one another or absolute? Most of the videos I have seen are describing the above as "for every 3 moles of A and 1 mole of B you get 2 moles of C". I believed at some point that these numbers were absolute however, after reading up on equilibrium I discovered that I was incorrect.

So for a reaction such as this:

@@mobile_image?key=31ff8366f50c7f15528c33070b9eaa43.png

I have a ratio of 2:1:3. If I used up 0.8 moles of the nitrogen, I read that I would use the ratio to discover that I would produce 0.4 moles of nitrogen and 1.2 moles of hydrogen. Would anyone care to explain this to me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dorslek said:
If I used up 0.8 moles of the nitrogen, I read that I would use the ratio to discover that I would produce 0.4 moles of nitrogen and 1.2 moles of hydrogen.

Correct. A molar ratio is just that, a ratio. It's a ratio in the same way that 1:2 is the same as 0.5:1 or 2:4. Just because the reaction says 2NH3 doesn't mean you have to use 2 moles.

.8NH3 x 1N2/2NH3= .4N2
.8NH3 x 3H2/2NH3= 1.2H2

1. What is the difference between relative and absolute mole ratio?

The relative mole ratio represents the ratio of moles of one substance to another in a chemical reaction, while the absolute mole ratio represents the actual number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction.

2. How do I determine the relative mole ratio in a chemical reaction?

To determine the relative mole ratio, you must first balance the chemical equation. Then, you can use the coefficients in the balanced equation to find the ratio of moles between the reactants and products.

3. Can the absolute mole ratio change in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the absolute mole ratio can change in a chemical reaction because the amount of each substance present can change due to the reaction. However, the relative mole ratio will remain the same as long as the chemical equation is balanced.

4. Why is it important to understand the concept of mole ratio in chemistry?

Mole ratio is important in chemistry because it allows us to accurately predict the amount of products that will be formed in a chemical reaction. It also helps us understand the relationship between reactants and products and how they are consumed and produced in a reaction.

5. Is mole ratio the same as molar ratio?

Yes, mole ratio and molar ratio are often used interchangeably and refer to the same concept of the ratio of moles between substances in a chemical reaction.