Is it normal to have major swings in confidence throughout the day?

In summary, the conversation discusses how the individual experiences major swings of confidence throughout the day, often triggered by external validation or small disappointments. They provide an example of feeling confident after completing a task, but then experiencing a depressive phase after seeing their appearance in the mirror. The group also discusses the importance of seeking medical help if these swings are causing significant distress and how stress can impact confidence levels.
Jamin2112
I go through major swings of confidence throughout the day. If I get a compliment from someone or some other kind of validation, I'll feel on top of the world, and then some really small disappointment can sink that confidence into almost depression and a feeling of worthlessness.

For example, today I submitted an application for a job that had an "optional challenge problem" I ended up solved this morning. I felt amazing and optimistic. Then, when I got out of the shower, looked in the mirror and was reminded about my receding and thinning hairline, I got into a depressive phase that I'm still in. I'm guessing that'll soon change in a split-second at some time later today.

Biology news on Phys.org
Does your question depend on what you mean by "normal"; and does it matter, really?

pongo38 said:
Does your question depend on what you mean by "normal"; and does it matter, really?
Of course it matters if it is causing you upset and interfering with your life. Jamin2112 it's not possible to tell with such little information (and obviously we can't diagnose) but if you have been suffering from radical mood swings for a long time it's something worth speaking to a doctor about. Particularly if the down moments are truly depressive (I.e. characterised by despair, no confidence, lack of energy etc) rather than simply unhappy.

I would speak to a doctor if it's something that concerns you. I know I get wild swings by listening to different music. I can be a little down, but if I hop in my car and put on a hot dance track I start feeling good and mentally start "fist pumping".

I agree with Ryan and Greg, it's best to check with a medical professional.

In my own experience: in the times in my life when I'm feeling 'fragile' due to stress, I will experience what you describe. But when I'm coping well with life, my confidence is more robust.

So for me, the root issue is not the swings, it's how I'm coping with stress.

1. Why do I experience major swings in confidence throughout the day?

There can be various reasons for experiencing major swings in confidence throughout the day. It could be due to external factors such as interactions with others, success or failure in tasks, or even changes in the environment. It could also be a result of internal factors such as self-doubt, negative thoughts, or lack of self-care.

2. Is it normal to have these swings in confidence?

Yes, it is completely normal to experience fluctuations in confidence throughout the day. It is a natural part of being human and can vary from person to person. Some may have more stable confidence levels, while others may experience more drastic changes.

3. How can I manage these swings in confidence?

One way to manage these swings in confidence is by practicing self-awareness and identifying the triggers that lead to them. Additionally, engaging in activities that boost self-esteem, such as exercise, positive self-talk, and celebrating small achievements, can also help in managing confidence levels.

4. Can these swings in confidence affect my overall well-being?

Yes, major swings in confidence can have a significant impact on one's overall well-being. It can lead to feelings of anxiety, stress, and even depression. It is essential to address these swings and find healthy ways to manage them in order to maintain a positive and healthy mindset.

5. Should I seek professional help if I am experiencing extreme swings in confidence?

If these swings in confidence are significantly affecting your daily life and causing distress, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. A therapist or counselor can help you identify the root causes of these fluctuations and develop coping strategies to manage them effectively.