Register to reply

Coulomb interaction not affected by presence of other charges

by rajeshmarndi
Tags: affected, charges, coulomb, interaction, presence
Share this thread:
rajeshmarndi
Jul24-14, 02:38 AM
P: 176
One of the observation noted in connection with coulomb interaction is that, it is not affected by the presence of other charges. Why?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
e.bar.goum
Jul24-14, 03:01 AM
P: 234
Could you possibly tell us where you read that? It doesn't sound quite right, but perhaps I misunderstand you.

From the law of superposition, we can write the effect of a set of N point charges q on a charge as

[itex] F(r) = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\sum_{i=1}^N \widehat{R}_i /|R_i|^2[/itex]

Where

[itex]\widehat{R}_i [/itex]

is a unit vector in the direction of

[itex] R_{i} = r - r_{i}[/itex].

Is this perhaps what you meant? This is just due to the linearity of the electrostatic interaction - any linear system may be decomposed into a linear superposition, wikipedia has an ok writeup.
rajeshmarndi
Jul24-14, 04:41 AM
I read it on the twelve standard book of my state board.

Also I found the same on this site.
http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-el.../coulombs-law/

Following observations can be noted in connection with Coulomb’s interaction:

(a)...
(b)..
(c)Coulombs interaction is not affected by the presence of other charges in the neighborhood.

What exactly does it say?

e.bar.goum
Jul24-14, 05:04 AM
Coulomb interaction not affected by presence of other charges

I find that statement vauge too, but I would interpret it as I stated above - that the law of superposition holds.
jtbell
Jul24-14, 06:09 AM
Mentor
P: 11,872
Quote Quote by e.bar.goum View Post
I would interpret it as I stated above - that the law of superposition holds.
I agree.
rajeshmarndi
Jul24-14, 08:32 AM
Quote Quote by e.bar.goum View Post
This is just due to the linearity of the electrostatic interaction - any linear system may be decomposed into a linear superposition
Can you explain what does linearity of the electrostatic intersection, exactly mean.

What I understand from superposition principle, is that all the charges when placed near each other behave independently of each other and just only their vector sum add up. May be this is what the statement mean.

And thanks for the reply.
e.bar.goum
Jul24-14, 08:03 PM
Quote Quote by rajeshmarndi View Post
Can you explain what does linearity of the electrostatic intersection, exactly mean.

What I understand from superposition principle, is that all the charges when placed near each other behave independently of each other and just only their vector sum add up. May be this is what the statement mean.

And thanks for the reply.
Sorry, what I mean by "the linearity of the electrostatic interaction" is just that because the coloumb/electrostatic interaction is linear, you can therefore apply the superposition principle, as you described above.

Register to reply