Coulomb interaction not affected by presence of other charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Coulomb's interaction and its properties. It is mentioned that this interaction is not affected by the presence of other charges, due to its linearity. The law of superposition is also discussed as a way to calculate the effect of multiple charges on a single charge.
rajeshmarndi
One of the observation noted in connection with coulomb interaction is that, it is not affected by the presence of other charges. Why?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you possibly tell us where you read that? It doesn't sound quite right, but perhaps I misunderstand you.

From the law of superposition, we can write the effect of a set of N point charges q on a charge as

[itex] F(r) = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\sum_{i=1}^N \widehat{R}_i /|R_i|^2[/itex]

Where

[itex]\widehat{R}_i [/itex]

is a unit vector in the direction of

[itex] R_{i} = r - r_{i}[/itex].

Is this perhaps what you meant? This is just due to the linearity of the electrostatic interaction - any linear system may be decomposed into a linear superposition, wikipedia has an ok writeup.

I read it on the twelve standard book of my state board.

Also I found the same on this site.
http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-electrostatics/coulombs-law/

Following observations can be noted in connection with Coulomb’s interaction:

(a)...
(b)..
(c)Coulombs interaction is not affected by the presence of other charges in the neighborhood.

What exactly does it say?

I find that statement vauge too, but I would interpret it as I stated above - that the law of superposition holds.

e.bar.goum said:
I would interpret it as I stated above - that the law of superposition holds.

I agree.

e.bar.goum said:
This is just due to the linearity of the electrostatic interaction - any linear system may be decomposed into a linear superposition

Can you explain what does linearity of the electrostatic intersection, exactly mean.

What I understand from superposition principle, is that all the charges when placed near each other behave independently of each other and just only their vector sum add up. May be this is what the statement mean.

And thanks for the reply.

rajeshmarndi said:
Can you explain what does linearity of the electrostatic intersection, exactly mean.

What I understand from superposition principle, is that all the charges when placed near each other behave independently of each other and just only their vector sum add up. May be this is what the statement mean.

And thanks for the reply.

Sorry, what I mean by "the linearity of the electrostatic interaction" is just that because the coloumb/electrostatic interaction is linear, you can therefore apply the superposition principle, as you described above.

1. How does Coulomb interaction remain unaffected by the presence of other charges?

The Coulomb interaction, also known as electrostatic interaction, is a fundamental force between two charged particles. It is governed by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the interaction between two charges is solely dependent on the magnitude and distance of the charges, and not affected by the presence of other charges.

2. Can the presence of other charges alter the strength of Coulomb interaction?

No, the presence of other charges does not alter the strength of Coulomb interaction between two charges. As mentioned before, the force between two charges is solely determined by their magnitudes and distance, and is not affected by other charges.

3. How does Coulomb interaction differ from other types of interactions?

Coulomb interaction is an electrostatic force that exists between two charged particles, whereas other types of interactions, such as gravitational and nuclear interactions, act on all types of matter. Additionally, Coulomb interaction follows an inverse square law, while other interactions may follow different laws.

4. Does Coulomb interaction only occur between two charges?

No, Coulomb interaction can also occur between a charge and a charged object. In this case, the object will experience a force due to the electric field created by the charge. This interaction is still governed by Coulomb's Law and remains unaffected by the presence of other charges.

5. What happens to Coulomb interaction if the charges are of opposite signs?

When two charges of opposite signs are brought together, they will experience an attractive force due to Coulomb interaction. This is because the charges have opposite polarities and will be drawn towards each other. However, the strength of the interaction will still be determined by their magnitudes and distance, and will not be affected by the presence of other charges.