Register to reply

Creating a temperature differential on SF6 to evacuate a cylinder

Share this thread:
co0ldood
Aug12-14, 05:21 PM
P: 8
I have a 50KG cylinder with 1-2LB of SF6 at 15PSI. I want to transfer it into another cylinder by temperature differential.

Keeping it simple. I try to model it with two cylinders that has a valve on each cylinder. Connecting the cylinder with a 1/4" hose. Both valves are closed. The cylinder with the SF6 is at ambient temperature (25C). I cool the other cylinder to -40C (~-50C is solidifying point).. Open both valves.

How would I go about calculating the flow rate?

I try to find the pressure differential using ideal gas law

PV=nRT; P1/T1 = P2/T2, 15 PSI / 298.15K = P2/233.15K; P2 = 11.73PSI.

This is the wrong way since I know it is a compressible gas and the pressure should be much lower. Any help or direction would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Abnormal properties of cancer protein revealed in fly eyes
Rooting out horse-meat fraud in the wake of a recent food scandal
mfb
Aug12-14, 06:46 PM
Mentor
P: 12,081
Weird unit system :(.

PV=nRT takes compression into account, but you won't get a pressure difference if your valves are open. You just get a density difference, while the total amount of SF6 is constant (and known).

Your calculation would require the same amount of SF6 in both cylinders and closed valves.

Register to reply