Height of a projectile at a certain point

In summary, a soccer player kicks a soccer ball at a speed of 33.5 m/s at an angle of 10.6 degrees towards a goal 25.0m away. After calculating the final velocity, the question is posed of what the height of the ball will be when it reaches the goal. Using the equations d = v_{o}t+1/2at^2 and v_f = v_o+at, the time it takes for the ball to reach the goal is found to be 1.71s. Plugging this value into the equation d = v_{o}cos(10.6)t, the height is calculated to be 10.35m. However, this answer may not
ridik88

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks a soccer ball at a speed of 33.5 m/s at an angle of 10.6 degrees at the goal 25.0m away.

Homework Equations

What is the height of the ball when it reaches the goal?

The Attempt at a Solution

Was able to calculate the final velocity but need a little help setting up this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on, please show your work.

[tex]d = 1/2(v_o+v_f)t[/tex]
[tex]d = v_{o}t+1/2at^2[/tex]
[tex]v_f = v_o+at[/tex]
[tex]v_{f}^2 = v_{o}^2+2ad[/tex]

Those equations are a good place to start^^

Remember there's no acceleration in the "horizontal" direction

Last edited:
Work so far

Ok... so far I calculated

sr = (2(33.5 m/s)^2)/(9.81 m/s^2) cos10.6 sin10.6

sr = 41.4m

this will give me the range if the ball struck the goal at the same height it was kicked from. I can't figure out how to calculate its height 25.0m away.

I don't see how finding the total range of the ball will help you...

[tex]d = v_{o}t+1/2at^2[/tex]

If you tried to solve this for the horizontal direction then [tex]a=0 m/s^2[/tex]. So you're left with [tex]d = v_{o}cos(10.6)t[/tex]. You have a displacement (the goal) and you know the intial velocity so you can figure out how long it will take to reach the goal...

Last edited:
I calculated the time to be 1.71s, when plugged into the equation to solve for "d" it gives me a height of 10.35m. Looks like a feasible answer (hope I did it right lol). Thanks so much for helping.

10.35 m?!? That's pretty high! How did you arrive at that value for t?

Vf = Vo + at

22.99m/s = 6.16m/s + 9.81m/s^2 ( t )

t = 1.71s

You don't know what the velocity will be when the ball reaches the goal unless you previously know the time. Where did you get 22.99 m/s from?

Last edited:
[tex]v_{f}^2 = v_{o}^2+2ad[/tex]

Vf^2 = (6.16m/s)^2 + 2(9.81m/s^2)(25m)

Vf = 22.99m/s

wrong way I guess

The key to projectile questions are knowing which formula to use, and 9 times out of ten, you need to work out the horizontal components before you can start on the veritical (due to the effect of acceleration on vertical velocity over time).

As we have estbalished however, the is a link between the two .. time.

List out what you know about the hoiztonal components, and choose a formula that will be easiest to find time with.

Then you can start working out the vertical elements.

The key is that the horizontal component of motion is at constant velocity, and that the vertical component is at constant acceleration (due to gravity). So separate your two components. Using [tex] x = v_{x} t [/tex] solve for t and then use that in the equation for uniform acceleration.

What is the formula for calculating the height of a projectile at a certain point?

The formula for calculating the height of a projectile at a certain point is h = h0 + v0sin(θ)t - 1/2gt2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Does the mass of a projectile affect its height at a certain point?

Yes, the mass of a projectile does affect its height at a certain point. Heavier projectiles will have a greater force of gravity acting on them, causing them to fall faster and therefore have a shorter height at a certain point compared to lighter projectiles.

How does air resistance impact the height of a projectile at a certain point?

Air resistance can decrease the height of a projectile at a certain point by slowing down its velocity and reducing its vertical acceleration. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force on the projectile, causing it to lose energy and therefore not reach the same height as it would without air resistance.

Can the height of a projectile at a certain point be negative?

Yes, the height of a projectile at a certain point can be negative. This typically occurs when the projectile is launched from a high point and falls below the initial height, or when the projectile is launched at an angle and reaches a point where the vertical displacement is negative.

How can the height of a projectile at a certain point be measured in real life?

The height of a projectile at a certain point can be measured using instruments such as a rangefinder or a clinometer. These instruments measure the angle and distance from the ground to the projectile, which can then be used to calculate the height using trigonometric functions.