Earliest time of light emission after Big Bang

In summary: Whence the answer will depend on the details of the model of the big-bang and the space-time geometry.
sir_manning
Good evening ladies and gents

I'm in the process of wrapping my brain around Special Relativity, and I've come across an interesting application having to do with Cosmological Horizons. Basically, the question goes like this:

"Assume a time T has passed since the Big Bang and that we are receiving light from a galaxy receding from us at velocity v (assume v remains constant since the big bang). What is the earliest time T' that the light could have been emitted if it is arriving at Earth now."

Does anybody know of any resources that goes into greater depths regarding this question? By the way, this example is from "Relativity: An introduction to Space-Time physics" by Steve Adams.

Thanks,
-Alan

Space news on Phys.org
This is a question that pertains to general relativity, not special relativity. I will move your post to the relativity forum...

An interesting question. Would not the earliest time that you could know be the number of years that it would take light to travel from the edge of the expanding universe to earth. How fast is the universe expanding compared to the speed of light?

See Ned Wright's page.

The question is misleading because if you make use of the usual cosmological solutions to general relativity to solve it, then the assumption that v remains constant since the big-bang makes no sense. Moreover, leaving this aside, the answer to the question for a generic cosmological model cannot be obtained analitically.

It seems to me that you are asked to solve the problem within the framework of special relativity, i.e. assume that the recession speed is not due to expansion of space but due to the motion of objects in a flat spacetime background. In that case I suggest to draw a space-time diagram for the motion of the galaxy (vertical axis t, horizontal axis x) and try to depict the scenario. You will see that the geometry of the diagram will provide you an answer.

Last edited:

1. When did the first light appear after the Big Bang?

The first light, or "cosmic dawn", appeared approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang. This is known as the "epoch of recombination" when the universe cooled enough for neutral atoms to form, allowing light to travel freely.

2. How was the earliest time of light emission after the Big Bang determined?

Scientists have used a variety of methods to determine the earliest time of light emission after the Big Bang. These include analyzing the cosmic microwave background radiation, studying the formation of galaxies and stars, and observing the redshift of distant objects.

3. What is the significance of the earliest light after the Big Bang?

The earliest light after the Big Bang marks the beginning of the "Dark Ages" of the universe, when there were no sources of light and the universe was filled with neutral gas. It also provides valuable insight into the formation and evolution of the universe.

4. Can we see the earliest light from the Big Bang?

No, it is not possible to directly observe the earliest light from the Big Bang. This is because the light has been stretched and shifted to longer wavelengths due to the expansion of the universe, making it undetectable to our eyes.

5. Could there have been multiple "first lights" after the Big Bang?

While it is possible that there were multiple sources of light that appeared at different times after the Big Bang, the first light that is considered significant in the timeline of the universe is the cosmic microwave background radiation that was emitted around 380,000 years after the Big Bang.