How can I create a conformal mapping between a square and triangle?

In summary, the conformal mapping between a square [0,1]^2 and a triangle (0,0)-(1,1)-(2,0) is possible but not a conformal mapping.
jostpuur
When trying to solve one problem (my own, not an exercise), I encountered the need for a conformal mapping between a square [0,1]^2 and a triangle (0,0)-(1,1)-(2,0), so that the side (0,0)-(0,1) of the square gets mapped into a point (0,0), and the three other sides become the sides of the triangle.

I have no clue how to construct such mapping, or if there exists general techniques for it or already known solution. I barely now the definition of the conformal mapping. Any hints appreciated, if somebody happens to something about this business.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about this. I wonder though. A conformal mapping is a mapping that conserves angles, while you ask a mapping that bends some angles 90° to 45° (and that maps curve to a point). That's impossible, not?

I succeeded in drawing a picture that looked very convincing. It could be that you just didn't try hard enough when trying to see what kind of mapping it's going to be.

Is there any well known existence proofs for conformal mappings? I think I heard about something like that, but I don't know what are the assumptions in those proofs.

There certainly exist a mapping that will do that but not a "conformal mapping". As eendavid said, conformal mapping preserve angles and so cannot convert a right angle, at a corner of the square into a straight angle in the triangle. A conformal mapping can only change a rectangle into another rectangle.

Typically, one really only asks that the map be conformal on the interior, and bijective on the boundary (but you've also broken that rule).

hmhm.. to me this seems that it could still be bijective and angle preserving in the interior.

Okey, matt was first to mention interior.

The conformal mapping from the interior of a square to a circular sector

[tex]
\{(r\cos\theta,\;r\sin\theta)\in\mathbb{R}^2\;|\; 0<r<R\;\textrm{and}\; 0<\theta<\pi/4\}
[/tex]

is trivial. Map horizontal lines to the lines [itex]\theta=[/itex] constant, and vertical lines to the arcs r=constant. The mapping I'm trying to find would look a little bit the same, but a little bit different too.

Last edited:
Different in the sense that you specifically say the map is _not_ to be bijective on the boundary, you mean?

I mentioned the circular sector example only to make clear what I'm talking about, since I didn't want to start putting pictures on the internet for such small thing. I didn't try to mean much with it. "Different" meant that the sector example doesn't yet solve the problem.

1. What is a conformal mapping?

A conformal mapping is a type of mathematical function that preserves angles between intersecting curves. This means that the shape of the curves is maintained, but their sizes and orientations may change.

2. How is a conformal mapping different from other types of mappings?

A conformal mapping is unique in that it preserves angles, whereas other types of mappings may distort angles. It is also different from a conformal transformation, which involves changing the coordinates of a given system.

3. What applications does conformal mapping have in science?

Conformal mapping has applications in various fields of science, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and cartography. It is used to visualize and analyze complex systems and to solve differential equations.

4. Are there any limitations to conformal mapping?

While conformal mapping is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to certain types of functions and may not accurately represent highly irregular or chaotic systems.

5. How can conformal mapping be used in real-world situations?

Conformal mapping has practical applications in engineering, physics, and geology. For example, it can be used to design the shape of airplane wings for optimal aerodynamics or to map out the topography of a mountain range.