College algebra vs intermediate albegra ?

In summary, "college algebra" is a more advanced course than "intermediate algebra" and includes topics such as the Factor Theorem, Remainder Theorem, functions, and rational functions. While it covers most of the material in Intermediate Algebra, it also introduces advanced topics such as conic sections and applications. It is recommended to study Intermediate Algebra before tackling College Algebra for a more comprehensive understanding of algebra.
Holocene
"college algebra" vs "intermediate albegra"?

I'm finishing up a book on Algebra 1, it pretty much ends with quadratic equations and applications.

As fas as what to study next, is there any major difference between "college" algebra and "intermediate" algebra?

The book I have on college algebra looks like it mainly deals with graphing.

Should I get an intermediate algebra book?

My goal is to school myself up to a pre-calc level.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"College Algebra" is more advanced than Intermediate Algebra. Find and study from an Intermediate Algebra book. You could, if you are strong at Algebra, study College Algebra, since it contains almost everything that is in Intermediate. Most sure learning would be to first study Intermediate Algebra.

More precisely as I am aware, College Algebra contains Factor Theorem and Remainder Theorem, which deal with polynomials and zeros. The treatment of conic sections might be a little more advanced and include a few applications.

symbolipoint said:
"College Algebra" is more advanced than Intermediate Algebra. Find and study from an Intermediate Algebra book. You could, if you are strong at Algebra, study College Algebra, since it contains almost everything that is in Intermediate. Most sure learning would be to first study Intermediate Algebra.

More precisely as I am aware, College Algebra contains Factor Theorem and Remainder Theorem, which deal with polynomials and zeros. The treatment of conic sections might be a little more advanced and include a few applications.

Thanks.

Some more differences are worth being aware.

You were properly observant about seeing emphasis on graphs in that college algebra book. That course deals with functions and their graphs. A few details about functions beyond what you find at intermediate level occur in the "college" algebra level. Another notable topic is that while you deal with rational equations and fractional equations in Intermediate Algebra, you deal with RATIONAL FUNCTIONS and their graphs in College Algebra.

1. What is the difference between college algebra and intermediate algebra?

College algebra is a more advanced level of algebra typically taken in college or university, while intermediate algebra is a lower level algebra course typically taken in high school or community college.

2. Do I need to take both college algebra and intermediate algebra?

It depends on your academic goals and the requirements of your degree program. Some majors or programs may only require one of these courses, while others may require both. It is best to check with your academic advisor for specific requirements.

3. Is intermediate algebra a prerequisite for college algebra?

Yes, intermediate algebra is typically a prerequisite for college algebra. This means that you must successfully complete intermediate algebra before enrolling in college algebra.

4. Which course is more difficult - college algebra or intermediate algebra?

This can vary from person to person, but generally, college algebra is considered more challenging due to the higher level of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills required.

5. Are there any major differences in the topics covered in college algebra and intermediate algebra?

While both courses cover fundamental algebraic concepts, college algebra may also include more advanced topics such as matrices, sequences and series, and exponential and logarithmic functions. Intermediate algebra may focus more on topics such as linear equations, quadratic equations, and basic graphing.