Modeling PMDC Motor & Mechanical System

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of modeling a PMDC motor and a mechanical system attached to it. The focus is on graphing the time histories of the three differential equations. The individual equations for each state variable are provided, with the issue being highlighted in the bolded part. The individual is struggling with understanding Matlab and finding a solution, but ultimately figures it out.
Quadruple Bypass
alright I've got to model a PMDC motor and a mechanical system attached to it

this is what i have so far for the equations part, which is where the problem is (im trying to graph the time histories of the 3 DE's)

function Xdot=project(t,X)
global R L km B J M b k r

V=10; % step function: 10 Volts

% State equations (1st order differential equations)
% X(1) = theta = angular displacement of pinion
% X(2) = theta dot = angular velocity of pinion
% X(3) = I = current
% X(4) = I dot

Xdot1= X(2);
Xdot2= (1/(J-M*r^2))*(-B*X(2)+km*X(3)+b*r^2*X(2)+k*r^2*X(1));
Xdot3= (V-R*X(3)-km*X(2))/L;

% The differential equations must be put in a column vector
Xdot=[Xdot1; Xdot2; Xdot3];

the bolded part is where the problem is. if i substitute it for a constant number, say 10, the graphs are good.

i suck at matlab, never understood it, I am confused, what do i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, my mind kicked in in the clutch and i got it.

As a scientist, it is important to understand and troubleshoot any issues that arise during the modeling process. First, it is important to identify the problem. In this case, it seems that the equations are not producing the desired results when graphed.

One possible solution is to check the units of the variables used in the equations. Make sure that all units are consistent and match the units used in the parameters. In addition, double check the equations themselves to ensure they are correctly written and include all necessary terms.

If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or seek assistance from a more experienced programmer. It is also important to read through the documentation and resources available for the software being used, in this case, MATLAB.

Remember, modeling is an iterative process and it may take some trial and error to get the desired results. Don't be discouraged and keep working through the problem until a satisfactory solution is found.

1. What is a PMDC motor?

A PMDC (Permanent Magnet DC) motor is a type of electric motor that uses a permanent magnet to create a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the armature (a rotating coil) to produce motion.

2. How does a PMDC motor work?

A PMDC motor works by using the interaction between the permanent magnet and the armature to create motion. When electricity flows through the armature, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet, causing the armature to rotate.

3. What is the purpose of modeling a PMDC motor?

The purpose of modeling a PMDC motor is to understand and predict its behavior in different operating conditions. This can help in designing and optimizing the motor for specific applications.

4. What factors are included in a PMDC motor and mechanical system model?

A PMDC motor and mechanical system model includes factors such as the motor's electrical parameters (resistance, inductance, and back EMF), mechanical parameters (inertia and friction), and external forces (load torque and aerodynamic drag).

5. What are the benefits of modeling a PMDC motor and mechanical system?

Modeling a PMDC motor and mechanical system can help in designing efficient and reliable motors, optimizing performance, and reducing development time and costs. It also allows for the evaluation of different control strategies and the prediction of system behavior in various operating conditions.