Understanding Oscillatory Motion: Relationship Between Length and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamentals of oscillatory motion and the relationship between length of string (L) and time (t). The method of suspending a ruler and increasing the length of the string is mentioned to observe the increase in period of oscillation. The participants also mention the importance of not guessing and using a force diagram to determine the SHM equation and coefficient for the relationship between L and t.
Black-Enigma
Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me with the fundamentals of oscillatory motion.

A 1 metre ruler is suspended on both ends by two strings attatched to retort stands. The length of the string is increased to observe the increase in period of oscillation.

I need to know the relationship between L (length of string) and t (time)

I am guessing the relationship is t : √L

Thanks

p.s I need the answer ergently

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Black-Enigma said:
I am guessing the relationship is t : √L

Hi Black-Enigma ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Guessing is no good! :rolleyes:

(is the rule moving parallel to its length, or sideways? :confused:)

Hint: do a force diagram to work out the force at a typical angle.

That will give you an SHM equation, and the coefficient will tell you the relationship between L and t. :smile:

Hi tinytim, the ruler is being rotated about 45 degrees and then released. It oscillates back and forth.

thanks

1. What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is the back and forth movement of an object around an equilibrium point. It is a type of periodic motion where the object repeats its path over a certain period of time.

2. What causes oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is caused by a restoring force, which is a force that brings the object back to its equilibrium position after being displaced. This force can be gravity, a spring, or any other force that acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

3. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and oscillatory motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction. Oscillatory motion, on the other hand, can have various types of restoring forces and does not necessarily follow the same pattern as simple harmonic motion.

4. How is oscillatory motion measured?

Oscillatory motion can be measured using various parameters such as amplitude, frequency, and period. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time. The period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation.

5. What are some examples of oscillatory motion in everyday life?

Some examples of oscillatory motion in everyday life include a pendulum swinging, a child on a swing, a bouncing ball, and a vibrating guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a boat on waves, the motion of a spring, and the motion of a car's suspension system.