Solve complex equation numerically

In summary, D H is asking for help understanding a complex problem with a multivariate function. He has unsuccessfully searched for a solution online and is looking for advice from someone more experienced.
enricfemi
all i want to do is finding all the solution in a area.

i know the Newton's method, but the problem is how can i divide the area into much smaller areas that i can judge it whether include a solution and can only have one solution.

and how can judge it?

any talk will be appreciated. it's really messing me up.

Technology news on Phys.org
To start with, what problem are you trying to solve? Numerical methods is a huge topic; a reasonable introduction to the concept deserves a book and a college class. In fact, Introduction to Numerical Methods is a class at several colleges.

thanks D H!
i have passed the class of numerical methods. but there isnot introduce to the solution about complex problems.
the problem is i have a complex function(can't analysis), and i want to find out when it go to zero

Finding a zero of a multidimensional function is a tougher (much tougher) problem than is single dimensional zero finding. There is no good general purpose technique for finding a zero of a multidimensional function.

That said, you may want to use Newton's method as extended to multiple dimensions (you will need the Jacobian) or use Broyden's method, which is an extension of the secant method to multiple dimensions. Both techniques can fail miserably.

more than considering the techniques, what puzzling me now, indeed, is the problem of finding zero of a multidimensional function.

i need a law, like in one dimension, can identify whether exist a zero of this function in a small area.
whether exist such a law? i can't find it out in any calculus book.

Since such a "law" does not even exist for a real function of one real variable, what makes you think it will exist for a multivariate function? There is a rule for real analytic functions of one variable: If f(x) is real analytic over some interval (a,b) and f(a)*f(b) < 0, then f(x) has an odd number of zeros on (a,b). You don't know how many, and you don't know much of anything at all if f(a)*f(b) > 0.

Complex analyticity offers an even more powerful tool: the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VariationofArgument.html" technique. If f(z) is complex function that is not identically zero and is analytic over some region R, evalate the variation of the argument around the boundary of R, divide by 2*pi, and voila! you have a count of the number of zeros in R.

All bets are off if you are working with a non-analytic complex function or a function that maps from Rn to Rm, n,m>1. There is no general rule, period.

Last edited by a moderator:
to tell the truth, i am not sophisticated in complex analysis. but just now i have found some books and read the part about principle of argument.
the only thing i confused is how to calculate the variation of the argument in a closed boundary, both analytic and numerically.

1. How do you solve a complex equation numerically?

To solve a complex equation numerically, you can use a computer program or calculator that has numerical solving capabilities. This involves plugging in values for the variables and using mathematical algorithms to find the solution.

2. What is the difference between solving an equation analytically and numerically?

Solving an equation analytically involves using mathematical methods to find an exact solution, while solving numerically involves using numerical methods to approximate the solution.

3. Can all complex equations be solved numerically?

No, not all complex equations can be solved numerically. Some equations may not have numerical solutions or may require advanced numerical methods to find a solution.

4. What are some common numerical methods used to solve complex equations?

Some common numerical methods include bisection method, Newton's method, and secant method. These methods involve using iterative calculations to approximate the solution of an equation.

5. Can a numerical solution be considered as accurate as an analytical solution?

It depends on the complexity of the equation and the accuracy of the numerical method used. In some cases, a numerical solution can be just as accurate as an analytical solution, while in others it may only provide an approximation of the solution.