Switching Fields: Advice for ChemE Senior Applying to EE PhD Programs

• Thread starter OscarDevaltra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation is about a ChemE senior who wants to pursue a PhD in Electrical Engineering. The person is concerned about their chances of getting into top schools and whether their background in chemical engineering will put them at a disadvantage. There is also discussion about the interdisciplinary nature of nanotechnology and how the person can make up for any missing EE courses. Ultimately, it is suggested that their motivation and ability to do research are more important factors for graduate schools than their specific background.
OscarDevaltra
Hi

I'm currently a ChemE senior, and I'm applying to grad schools. I have a very good GPA, research, extracurrics, etc. So I would have little worry about getting into a top PhD program in ChemE.

But I want a PhD in Electrical Engineering.

There are many reasons behind this motivation (which I won't go into now). Currently, I'm most interested in micro/nanofabrication. I've taken some courses in this subject, especially related to biotechnology. I also plan to minor in EE before graduation. But does anyone know how competitive I really am? I understand that nanotech. is a multidisciplinary field but am I still at a big disadvantage when compared to other EE students? Am I wasting my time by applying to the top schools?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look on the school's website you may wish to apply to. Often you can be admitted into another program because for example if you are a chemE major you have demonstrated you can handle the type of work. If you are inadiquately prepared relative to incoming EE majors you may have to begin your coursework with lower level EE classes but this is definitely possible and has been done before.

OscarDevaltra said:
Am I still at a big disadvantage when compared to other EE students? Am I wasting my time by applying to the top schools?

Yes, of course. Not having the usual expected preliminary credential is a huge disadvantage, especially when it comes to the top schools. Are you *that* much better than the other candidates for admission that they'll let you in without the usual background?

If you really want to switch fields, I would encourage you to keep trying... but realize how much harder you are making it for yourself. Your choices are either to back up and get a BS or MS in your desired field, or be *much* better than the competition.

only the degree names are different. if u really demonstrate strong motivation to pursue phd in EE, you might be in the same league as other EE background ppl.
also, i think, you should precisely explain in ur SOPurpose/SOInterest, why you're switching fields and how that makes you an eligible contender.
nanotech is quite interdisciplinary, so i think chemical engg background should not be too much of a problem/disadvantage, as long as you're open and willing to learn new stuff.

I think graduate schools are less interested in your background and more interested in your ability to do research. If you have a ChemE degree I think that shows you have the quantitative background to make up any EE courses you are missing. You can probably also find a project in nanotech that has people in both EE and ChemE departments working on it.

1. Why should a ChemE senior consider switching to an EE PhD program?

There are a few reasons why a ChemE senior may consider switching to an EE PhD program. Some may have a strong interest in electrical engineering and want to further their knowledge and skills in this field. Others may have realized that their research interests align more with EE than with ChemE. Additionally, some may have job opportunities or career goals that require a background in EE rather than ChemE.

2. What are the key differences between ChemE and EE PhD programs?

ChemE and EE PhD programs have different focuses and areas of study. ChemE tends to focus on chemistry, physics, and materials science, while EE focuses on electronics, circuits, and computer systems. Both programs also have different research topics and methods, and may require different skill sets.

3. Will a ChemE background be sufficient for an EE PhD program?

It depends on the specific program and research area. Some EE PhD programs may require a strong background in electrical engineering, while others may be more open to students with diverse backgrounds. It's important to thoroughly research the program and its requirements before applying.

4. Can a ChemE senior apply to an EE PhD program without a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for a ChemE senior to apply to an EE PhD program without a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. However, they may need to take prerequisite courses to build a strong foundation in electrical engineering before starting the PhD program. Some programs may also offer the option to complete a master's degree in EE before continuing on to the PhD.

5. Are there any challenges or drawbacks to switching from ChemE to EE for a PhD program?

Switching fields for a PhD program can be challenging, as the student will need to learn new concepts and skills and adapt to a different research environment. Additionally, there may be some gaps in knowledge and experience that need to be addressed, which can add extra time and effort to the PhD program. It's important for students to carefully consider their motivations and goals before making the decision to switch fields.