REU for International Students: Need Info?

In summary, the author is looking for advice on whether or not they have a chance of being accepted into a summer research program at a top university. They have good grades and background in mathematics, but they are not sure if they have the necessary research experience.
sutupidmath
Hi all,

I am planning to apply for some REU during the summer of 2009, but since i am an international student, i am facing difficulties finding a programm that accepts international students, and most importantly that offers financial aid to international students, since i cannot afford it from my own pocket.

So, i was wondering if someone of you out there knows a program that accepts international students?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again!

I found that there is actually a program that accepts international students, and that actually pays them, so they can cover housing, meal expences etc.

THis is SURF( Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship) at CALTECH.

But, my question now is that, what would my chances for getting accepted in such a program be. Since Caltech is a top university, is it about the same difficulty to get in such a summer program as it would be to get in Caltech as an undergraduate?

My background so far is:

1. I have no past research experience
2. The courses that i will have taken( that would be by the end of my 3rd semester) by the beggining of the summer research program are:
Elementary Functions;Elementary Statistics 1; Calculus 1, 2,3; Elementary Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Ordinary Differential Equations; and i am also planning to do an independent study the upcoming semester but only if that would be critical for being accepted in any of REU's.
SO far i have a GPA of 4.0 and i expect to have a gpa on a range 3.85-4.0 by that time also.

I also think that i can study on my own almost anything in math, as long as i have the necessary background for that, no matter the level of difficulty.

So, do i have any chances? I am not keeping my expectatons high, indeed i am keeping them very low, so i just wanted som more input from you, to get a better understanding of the situation.

Thanks a lot!

what school do you go to?

1. What is an REU program?

An REU program stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates, which is a competitive summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). It allows undergraduate students to gain hands-on research experience in their field of interest at various universities and research institutions.

2. Can international students apply for REU programs?

Yes, international students are eligible to apply for REU programs. However, they must have a valid visa and work authorization to participate in the program. It is important to note that some REU programs may have restrictions for international students, so it is recommended to check the eligibility requirements before applying.

3. How do I find REU programs for international students?

There are several ways to find REU programs for international students. You can search for programs on the NSF website, university websites, or use online search engines. Additionally, you can also reach out to your professors or academic advisors for recommendations.

4. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide valuable benefits for international students. It allows students to gain research experience and enhance their skills in their field of interest. It also provides the opportunity to network with peers and professionals in the field, as well as potentially earn academic credit or a stipend.

5. How can I increase my chances of being accepted into an REU program?

To increase your chances of being accepted into an REU program, it is important to have a strong academic record and relevant research experience or coursework. Be sure to carefully review the eligibility requirements and application materials, and submit a well-written and tailored application. Additionally, reaching out to the program director or past participants for advice and tips can also be helpful.