Should i take this pass/no pass?

• Thread starter mobiusdafrost
  • Start date
In summary: So, dropping the class won't really affect your future, if you still want to pursue a career in math. If you don't want to pursue a career in math, then it would make more sense to just drop the class and not worry about it.
mobiusdafrost
i'm taking real analysis honors and its too late to drop the class. i realized after taking this that pure math isn't for me. i intend to either go into engineering, physics, or finance. will taking this class for pass/no pass look bad to employers or grad school admissions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It'll look better to take it pass/no pass (assuming you still expect to pass) than having a grade of "barely passed" if that's your concern. Future employers or grad schools won't know the course was offered with other options, or you didn't start out that way, unless there will be some indication on your transcript of that. If it's no longer required for any of your future plans, even less harm done.

ha i have no clue

ok, it turns out i do have the option of dropping the class, but it'll show up as a small notatino on my transcript. i still don't know whether i want to keep the class or not, because if i drop it, i'll have only 8 units this semester, and even though i'll still meet the unit minimum requirement, i'll now have a lot of free time and don't know what to do with it, other than working full time for just this semester

you guys have any advice?

Dropping the class doesn't mean you have to stop attending class and doing the homework.

Vanadium 50 said:
Dropping the class doesn't mean you have to stop attending class and doing the homework.

why would i? i made the mistake of enrolling in this class when pure math isn't right for me. i need advice to prepare for a career either in physics, engineering, or finance

any advice for what to do for the rest of this semester, in which I am taking only 8 units?

i've been thinking of doing undergrad research again, even though i didnt really enjoy my reu that much

would it make any sense to keep this class if i end up getting an applied math degree? will employers look down on the fact that i dropped a class? or will employers really care if i end up with only a c- and my resulting gpa is drops from the 3.8 range to the 3.5 range?

Applied math is almost all based on analysis. If you're going to go to grad school, you're going to have to learn it eventually...

yea but this is the honors class, which is supposed to resemble the grad level course. the non-honors is much easier

What is the difference between a pass/no pass course and a graded course?

A pass/no pass course is a type of grading system where students either receive a passing grade or a failing grade, instead of a letter grade. This means that the overall performance in the course is not taken into consideration, and the student only needs to meet the minimum requirements to receive a passing grade. A graded course, on the other hand, takes into account the student's performance throughout the course and assigns a letter grade based on their overall performance.

Will a pass grade affect my GPA?

In most cases, a pass grade will not affect your GPA. This is because pass grades are not factored into the GPA calculation. However, if you receive a no pass grade, it may negatively impact your GPA as it is considered a failing grade.

Are there any limitations on which courses can be taken as pass/no pass?

Yes, there are usually limitations on which courses can be taken as pass/no pass. These limitations may vary by institution, but generally, pass/no pass options are only available for non-major or elective courses. Courses that are required for your major or are prerequisite courses may not be eligible for a pass/no pass option.

Will a pass/no pass grade affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It depends on the graduate school and the program you are applying for. Some graduate schools may view a pass/no pass grade as a lack of academic rigor, while others may not consider it at all. It is best to check with the specific graduate school and program you are interested in to determine their policies on pass/no pass grades.

How do I decide if I should take a course as pass/no pass?

When deciding whether to take a course as pass/no pass, consider the importance of the course for your major and future goals, your current workload and ability to handle the course, and any potential negative impact on your GPA. It is also helpful to consult with your academic advisor to discuss the best option for your academic goals.