Quick question regarding combined classes

• Thread starter Ballscity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the speaker is wondering if it is reasonable to take Calculus I and Physics with Calculus I at the same time in order to fulfill major requirements. They mention that at their school, the Calculus-based Physics course only uses basic calculus concepts, specifically derivatives. They suggest that if the listener can quickly understand differentiation, it may be feasible to take both courses simultaneously.
Ballscity
I have never taken calculus or physics, but for my major I require both. I am wondering if it is reasonable to take calculus I and physics with calculus I at the same time. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ballscity said:
I have never taken calculus or physics, but for my major I require both. I am wondering if it is reasonable to take calculus I and physics with calculus I at the same time. Thank you.

At my school, Calc-based Physics 1 ( mechanics, mostly ) only made use of very simple calculus ( derivatives only ). I'm not sure how other schools teach it. If you can pick up differentiation quickly ( it's not difficult ), then I'd say go for it.

It is definitely possible to take calculus I and physics with calculus I at the same time, but it may be challenging. Both subjects require a strong foundation in mathematics, so it would be beneficial to have some prior knowledge in calculus before taking physics with calculus. However, if you are willing to put in the extra effort and seek extra help when needed, it is certainly feasible to take both courses simultaneously. It may also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or professors to see if there are any resources or study groups available to support you in taking these courses together. Ultimately, it will depend on your individual learning style and dedication to the subjects, but it is certainly possible to succeed in both courses concurrently.

1. What are combined classes?

Combined classes refer to classes that are structured to include students from two or more grade levels or academic levels. This is often done to accommodate smaller class sizes or to offer specialized courses to a wider range of students.

2. How are combined classes organized?

Combined classes can be organized in different ways depending on the school or educational institution. Some may have a specific schedule where students from different grades or academic levels meet at the same time, while others may have the classes meet separately but cover the same material.

3. What are the benefits of combined classes?

Combined classes can offer benefits such as increased diversity in the classroom, more personalized learning experiences, and opportunities for peer tutoring and collaboration. They can also help schools save resources by combining classes with smaller numbers of students.

4. What challenges may arise in combined classes?

There can be challenges in combined classes, such as managing different learning levels and styles, ensuring equal attention and resources for all students, and addressing any potential conflicts or biases between students from different grades or academic levels.

5. How can combined classes be successful?

To ensure the success of combined classes, it's important to have clear communication and expectations between teachers, students, and parents. Differentiated instruction, where teachers adapt their teaching methods to meet the needs of all students, can also be beneficial. Regular monitoring and evaluation can also help identify and address any challenges that may arise.