Building an IR Receiver Circuit with On-Off Operation: Is My Plan Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of building an IR receiver circuit for a simple on-off operation using a relay and an NPN transistor. The IR receiver outputs high unless it detects its specific frequency, in which case it outputs low. The relay is used to reroute the current to ground, while the NPN transistor performs the signal inversion.
a4111
Im trying to build an IR receiver circuit that will perform a simple on-off operation when I push a button on an IR emitter. From what I understand IR receivers normally output high unless they detect their specific frequency, and then they output low. So my plan was to use the relay shown such that while the IR receiver sends high voltage the relay just reroutes the current to ground. When the IR receiver sends low voltage the relay switches up and the capacitor drains and activates/deactivates the switch. Does this all look right so far?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/292/circuitgx0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Use an NPN transistor in a common-emitter configuration to do the signal inversion for you.

Your plan looks correct so far. It is important to ensure that the relay is properly connected and that the capacitor is able to effectively discharge and activate/deactivate the switch. Additionally, it may be helpful to test the circuit with different frequencies to ensure that it is detecting the desired frequency accurately. Overall, it seems like you have a solid understanding of how IR receivers work and how to implement them in your circuit. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I know if this circuit is working?

There are a few ways to determine if a circuit is working. One way is to use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Another way is to use a test light or LED to see if there is a flow of electricity through the circuit. You can also check for any signs of overheating or burnt components, which could indicate a problem with the circuit.

2. What can cause a circuit to stop working?

A circuit can stop working due to a variety of reasons. Some common causes include faulty or damaged components, loose connections, incorrect wiring, or a blown fuse. It's important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause in order to fix the issue and get the circuit working again.

3. Is there a way to test a circuit without using specialized equipment?

Yes, there are a few ways to test a circuit without using specialized equipment. One way is to visually inspect the circuit for any signs of damage or loose connections. You can also use a battery, light bulb, and wires to create a simple test circuit to check for electricity flow. Additionally, you can use a continuity tester to check for any breaks in the circuit.

4. How can I fix a circuit that is not working?

The first step in fixing a circuit that is not working is to identify the specific problem. Once you have determined the cause of the issue, you can replace any faulty components, tighten loose connections, or rewire the circuit if necessary. It's important to make sure you have the proper tools and knowledge before attempting to fix a circuit.

5. Can a circuit work intermittently?

Yes, a circuit can work intermittently if there is a loose or faulty connection. This means that the circuit may work sometimes, but not consistently. It's important to check for loose connections and ensure that all components are properly connected and functioning in order to prevent this issue.