Greenpeace: Should They Interfere in UK's Jobs and Third Runway?

• News
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, Greenpeace has purchased a plot of land in the UK to protest the expansion of Heathrow and is using the climate change argument to gain support. Some are questioning if Greenpeace should be allowed to interfere in economic matters. However, the government can use compulsory purchase to force the land back from Greenpeace or others. Some have lost faith in Greenpeace due to past actions, such as the Brent Spar controversy. The link mentioned, "spice up my love life the organic way," does not work.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
In the news in the UK, Greenpeace has purchased a plot of land the size of a football field, in the hope of stopping the expansion of Heathrow, Greenpeace is using the climate change argument to rally support for it's actions.
Should Greenpeace be allowed to interfere in such matters as the future economy of a country?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5505435.ece

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
In the news in the UK, Greenpeace has purchased a plot of land the size of a football field, in the hope of stopping the expansion of Heathrow, Greenpeace is using the climate change argument to rally support for it's actions.
Should Greenpeace be allowed to interfere in such matters as the future economy of a country?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5505435.ece

I have learned that the government can force the land back from GP/other individuals/orgs if it serves the interest of the majority. So interference causes some media fuss and delays until project goes ahead. Not the same thing as building highways when they find Siberian Flying Squirrel poop somewhere on the way. The highway has to be moved if any of that poop is found.

Ps. Wolram, why doesn't the link "spice up my love life the organic way" work?

It's not going to do them any good - that's what compulsory purchase is for.

I lost my last bits of belief in Greenpeace over Brent Spar (lets invent some radiation - that scares the public)
They used to think:
Acid rain is bad, nuclear powerstations are bad - therefore nuclear powerstations cause acid rain.
That has been replaced with:
Climate change is bad, nuclear powerstations are bad - therefore nuclear powerstations cause climate change

misgfool said:
Ps. Wolram, why doesn't the link "spice up my love life the organic way" work?

The Internet police has diversities?

"spice up my love life the organic way"
In Wolram's case - I think it means Sheep!

1. What is Greenpeace and what do they stand for?

Greenpeace is an international environmental organization that aims to promote peace, protect the environment, and advocate for social and economic justice. They are known for their nonviolent direct action and campaigning to raise awareness about environmental issues.

2. Why is Greenpeace opposed to the UK's third runway?

Greenpeace believes that the expansion of the UK's airports, including the construction of a third runway, will lead to an increase in carbon emissions and contribute to climate change. They also argue that the expansion will have negative impacts on local communities and wildlife habitats.

3. Should Greenpeace be allowed to interfere in UK's jobs and third runway?

This is a complex question as it involves balancing the economic benefits of job creation with the potential environmental and social consequences of the third runway. Ultimately, it is up to the government and relevant stakeholders to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.

4. How does Greenpeace plan to interfere with the third runway?

Greenpeace has stated that they will use nonviolent direct action, such as protests and demonstrations, to raise awareness about the issue and put pressure on decision-makers to reconsider their plans for the third runway.

5. Are there any alternative solutions that Greenpeace proposes for the UK's air transport needs?

Greenpeace advocates for sustainable and environmentally friendly transportation options, such as investing in high-speed rail and improving public transportation infrastructure. They also promote reducing the demand for air travel through initiatives such as carbon taxes and incentivizing businesses to use virtual meetings instead of flying.