What is Your Favorite Version of Linux and Why?

• Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, Ubuntu is a distribution that is user-friendly and has a consistent Debian repository. Fedora is also user-friendly, but has less up-to-date packages. Mandriva is a distribution that is robust, but may be difficult to configure. Yellow Dog Linux is a distribution that is designed for older computers.
RiseAgainst
I am looking for a version of Linux to try. I have used Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04, PCLinuxOS, I am going to try Fedora 10 and 11. I also am planning on trying Yellow Dog Linux, and Mandriva. But I am wondering what types of Linux anyone has used and why you like that version in particular.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Personally I like Ubuntu, because of all the distributions I have used it gives you the least nonsense. The Debian package manager just keeps things so simple and Ubuntu has the most consistently up to date Debian repository I'm aware of.

I may be a little bit behind on the times though because I've been exclusive on OS X for home use for awhile now...

Here here. Ubuntu is great. Like mentioned packet manager/repository. Doesn't come with the kitchen sink but just what you need (the rest can be easily installed). Also IMHO great hardware support. Painless to get external devices up and running (I do not share the same experience with Fedora 9 & 10).

I do recommend you to take a look at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Jaunty it helped me a lot.

Last edited:
Ubuntu. Strictly for the sound effects upon boot. :smile:

But seriously, I've used Redhat quite a bit (at work) and Suse. They're fine, but at home I like Ubuntu just for the warm feeling I get knowing that nobody "owns & sells" this version. In other words, it's not only free as in speech, Ubuntu is also free as in beer.

Also, while I don't think there's anything wrong with Redhat package manager, I have found apt-get to be extremely friendly. I guess Ubuntu just maps into the deep structures of my brain a little more naturally than rpm.

I started out on Ubuntu and have also used Debian on an older machine. There's also been brief forays into a few other distros. I'm starting an adventure into Fedora soon, I'll post again on how that goes.

I've had negative experiences with OpenSUSE and also KDE in general. It's a bloated pig that looks funny and seems to lack a lot of the functionality of GNOME.

i also use ubuntu. I ran fedora 7 a while back and so far i prefer ubuntu. shell wise, none of this really matters outside of package handling. basically, one day i bought a new computer that came preloaded with vista and i didn't want to sit there installing an OS, so i ran wubi for a dual boot. I guess that's really the only reason i have ubuntu right now.

I don't know why you want to change your Linux system from one to one. As I know, Ubuntu is one of easy and powerful Linux systems.

Ubuntu is the way to go.

I use Archlinux , but it needs a pretty much configration...

slackware all the way, might not be the easiest but you can sure learn a lot from it..

1. What is the most popular version of Linux?

The most popular version of Linux is Ubuntu. It is known for its user-friendly interface and wide range of available software.

2. Which version of Linux is best for beginners?

Many people recommend Linux Mint for beginners as it has a similar interface to Windows and comes with a variety of pre-installed software.

3. What is the difference between Ubuntu and Linux Mint?

While both are based on Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint have different default desktop environments and package managers. Ubuntu uses Unity and the apt package manager, while Linux Mint uses Cinnamon and the apt-get package manager.

4. Is there a version of Linux that is good for gaming?

Yes, there are several versions of Linux that are suitable for gaming, such as SteamOS, Ubuntu GamePack, and Manjaro Gaming Edition. These versions come with pre-installed gaming software and drivers.

5. Can I customize my version of Linux?

Yes, one of the great things about Linux is its flexibility and customization options. You can choose from a variety of desktop environments, themes, and software to create a personalized version of Linux that suits your needs and preferences.