Numerically solving the null vector

• Thread starter wdlang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, To solve for the null vector of a 1000 by 1000 matrix A, you can use the "null" command in Matlab to find an orthonormal basis for the null space of A.
wdlang
i have a 1000 by 1000 matrix A

A is definitely singular

I want to solve the null vector numerically

How to do this?

matlab does not work!

Physics news on Phys.org
wdlang said:
i have a 1000 by 1000 matrix A

A is definitely singular

I want to solve the null vector numerically

How to do this?

matlab does not work!

Can you clarify what you mean by "solve the null vector"? Do you mean that you want to find a vector [tex]x \neq 0[/tex] such that [tex]Ax = 0[/tex]? i.e., to find a nonzero element of the null space?

jbunniii said:
Can you clarify what you mean by "solve the null vector"? Do you mean that you want to find a vector [tex]x \neq 0[/tex] such that [tex]Ax = 0[/tex]? i.e., to find a nonzero element of the null space?

yes!

wdlang said:
yes!

If you want to use Matlab to do it, look up the "null" command:

Z = null(A);

returns an orthonormal basis for the null space of A.

1. What is the null vector?

The null vector, also known as the zero vector, is a vector with a magnitude of 0 and no specific direction. In other words, it has no components and is often represented as the origin (0,0) in a coordinate system.

2. Why is it important to numerically solve the null vector?

Numerically solving the null vector is important because it allows us to find the values or parameters that make a system or equation equal to 0. This can help us solve equations, find solutions to problems, and understand physical phenomena.

3. What methods are commonly used to numerically solve the null vector?

There are several methods that can be used to numerically solve the null vector, including Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and matrix inversion. These methods involve manipulating and solving systems of linear equations.

4. Can the null vector be solved analytically?

Yes, in some cases, the null vector can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as substitution or elimination. However, in more complex systems or equations, it may be necessary to use numerical methods to find the null vector.

5. How is the null vector used in scientific research?

The null vector is used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to analyze and solve complex systems and equations, as well as to understand the behavior of physical phenomena. It is also used in data analysis and computer simulations.