I-Beam load capacity question, what beam for 70 tons?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with building a pit to service a locomotive. The pit will have I-beams under the rails to support the weight of the locomotive, which is distributed between two trucks with two axles each. The weight of each axle is 35 tons. The pit will only be wide enough for one truck but two axles. The speaker is looking for advice on what type of I-beam would be suitable for this project, with a deflection requirement of less than 1 inch. However, it is illegal to do this type of construction without the help of a registered professional engineer, so the speaker is advised to hire one. The thread has been locked.
gwrassiniboia
Hi,
I'm sorry if there have been loads of posts about this, but I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I'm making a pit to service a locomotive, this pit needs to be 10 feet wide (width along the rails), inorder to support the weight of the locomotive we have decided to run I-Beams under the rail to help the rail carry the weight. The weights distributed along the rails are as follows:

Each locomotive has 2 trucks, each truck has two axles, each axle has a weight load of 35 tons (appx 70,000 lbs).
The pit will only be wide enough for one truck, but two axles.
< 10' of I-Beam and Rail >
=====================
: ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~:
:~points where weight will~:
:~be resting ~~~~~~~~~:

(sorry for the crude picture)
The weight of the axles will rest on the outer edges of the beam for the most of the time, but we will need to drive over the middle of the beam at a very slow speed, so for it to hold the weight is critical (sometimes we'll need someone in the pit while the locomotive is moving).

What I'm looking for is what I-beam would be suitable, deflection must be less than 1 inch.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is illegal for you to do this sort of construction work without the assistance of a registered professional engineer and it would be illegal for anyone on this site to help you off-the-cuff.

Hire a professional structural engineer.

Thread locked.

Based on the information provided, it is important to consider several factors when determining the appropriate I-beam for this application. These factors include the weight load, the span of the beam, and the desired deflection limit.

To support a weight of 70 tons, or 140,000 lbs, it is recommended to use a steel I-beam with a minimum yield strength of 50 ksi (kips per square inch). This will ensure that the beam can withstand the weight without significant deflection or failure.

The span of the beam, or the distance between supports, is also an important factor. In this case, the beam will only be supporting one truck, or half of the locomotive's weight. This means that the span will be shorter and can potentially allow for a smaller, lighter beam to be used.

Lastly, the desired deflection limit of less than 1 inch must also be considered. This means that the beam must have enough stiffness and strength to resist bending under the weight load and maintain its shape. The exact size and type of I-beam needed will depend on the specific dimensions and loading conditions of the pit and the locomotive.

In conclusion, it is recommended to consult with a structural engineer or use an online beam calculator to determine the appropriate I-beam size and type for this application. It is important to consider all the factors mentioned above to ensure the safety and stability of the pit and the locomotive.

1. What is an I-Beam and how does it differ from other types of beams?

An I-Beam, also known as an H-beam or W-beam, is a structural steel beam with a cross-section in the shape of the letter "I." It is designed to withstand heavy loads and is commonly used in construction projects such as bridges, buildings, and cranes. Unlike other types of beams, the I-Beam has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, making it more efficient in carrying heavy loads.

2. How is load capacity determined for an I-Beam?

The load capacity of an I-Beam is determined by its size, shape, and material. The depth, width, and thickness of the beam all play a role in its load-bearing capacity. The type of steel used and the quality of the manufacturing also affect the load capacity. Engineers use mathematical calculations and structural analysis to determine the maximum load an I-Beam can withstand.

3. What is the maximum load capacity of an I-Beam?

The maximum load capacity of an I-Beam can vary depending on its size and material, but in general, it can range from 4,000 to 60,000 pounds per square inch (PSI). This means that a 70-ton load would require an I-Beam with a minimum capacity of 140,000 pounds or 70 tons.

4. Can an I-Beam support more weight if it is longer?

Yes, the length of an I-Beam can affect its load capacity. The longer the beam, the more bending and deflection it can experience, which can decrease its load-bearing capacity. Therefore, longer beams may need to be thicker or made of a stronger material to support the same weight as a shorter beam.

5. What size and type of I-Beam is recommended for a 70-ton load?

This depends on various factors such as the length of the beam, the support structures, and the type of load being applied. In general, an I-Beam with a depth of at least 24 inches and a weight of 70 pounds per foot would be suitable for a 70-ton load. However, it is always best to consult a structural engineer for a specific recommendation based on the project requirements.