Motorcycle Catches a Car-Kinematics Question

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motorcycle
In summary, the problem asks how long it takes for a motorcycle, initially traveling at the same speed as a car, to catch up with the car after starting to accelerate at a rate of 5.00 m/s^2. Using the formula D = Xi + Vit + 1/2at^2, the time t2 is found to be 4.9 seconds. However, since the problem only asks for the difference between t2 and t1, the answer is simply 4.9 seconds.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

A motorcycle is following a car that is traveling at constant speed on a straight highway. Initially, the car and the motorcycle are both traveling at the same speed of 47.0 mph, and the distance between them is 60.0 meters. After t1 = 4.00 seconds, the motorcycle starts to accelerate at a rate of 5.00 m/s^2. The motorcycle catches up with the car at some time t2.

How long does it take from the moment when the motorcycle starts to accelerate until it catches up with the car? In other words, find t2-t1.

The attempt at a solution

Okay, I said that the speed of the car is zero and the initial velocity of the motorcycle was zero as well. This was due to the fact that both were traveling at 47mph to begin with and in their frame of reference, they would be still.

I use the formula of

D = Xi + Vit + 1/2at^2

D meaning the distance, Xi being initial position, Vi being initial veloctiy, and a and t being acceleration and time, respectively.

60m= 0 + (o)t + 1/2(5.00m/s^2)*t^2

60m=2.5m/s^2*t^2

60m/2.5m/s^2 = t^2

24sec = t^2

4.9=t2

So, for t2 i got 4.9 seconds. Now the problem says to 4.9-4.0 which should give me .90 seconds, but when i enter that in for my answer on Mastering Physics, it says I am incorrect.

Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have started the problem with zero relative velocity of both.
Hence t2 itself is the answer. You need not consider t1.

I would like to point out a few things in your solution. First, the car and motorcycle cannot have a speed of zero in their own frame of reference. They are both moving at 47 mph, so their initial velocities should be 47 mph as well. Secondly, the distance between them is initially 60 meters, not 0 meters. Therefore, the correct equation to use would be:

D = Xi + Vit + 1/2at^2

60m = 0 + (47mph)(4s) + 1/2(5.00m/s^2)(4s)^2

60m = 188m + 1/2(80m)

60m = 188m + 40m

60m = 228m

This gives us a different value for t2, which is approximately 4.8 seconds. However, since the problem asks for t2-t1, we need to subtract 4 seconds (t1) from 4.8 seconds (t2), giving us a final answer of 0.8 seconds.

It is important to use the correct initial conditions and equations in order to get the correct answer. Also, remember to pay attention to units and convert them if necessary. I hope this helps!

What is the concept of "Motorcycle Catches a Car-Kinematics Question"?

The concept of "Motorcycle Catches a Car-Kinematics Question" is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a motorcycle and a car and determining if the motorcycle can catch up to the car while both are in motion.

What are the key variables needed to solve this problem?

The key variables needed to solve this problem are the initial positions, velocities, and accelerations of both the motorcycle and the car. These variables can be used to calculate the time it takes for the motorcycle to catch up to the car.

How does the mass of the motorcycle and car affect the outcome of the problem?

The mass of the motorcycle and car will affect the outcome of the problem because it will determine the acceleration of both vehicles. A heavier vehicle will have a lower acceleration, while a lighter vehicle will have a higher acceleration.

What are some common assumptions made when solving this problem?

Some common assumptions made when solving this problem include assuming a constant acceleration for both the motorcycle and the car, neglecting any external forces such as air resistance, and assuming a straight and flat path for both vehicles.

How can this problem be applied in real-life scenarios?

This problem can be applied in real-life scenarios such as drag racing or determining the maximum speed a motorcycle can reach on a straight road. It can also be used in traffic situations to calculate if a motorcycle can catch up to a car in front of it.