Optimization, cylinder in sphere

In summary, the conversation is about finding the dimensions of a right circular cylinder inscribed in a sphere, with a maximum surface area. The equations used are SA = 2πr² + 2πrh, r² + (h/2)² = R², and r² = h² + 2R². The attempt at a solution involves setting the derivative of SA with respect to r equal to zero, but the answer obtained is different from the answer in the book. The error is in the part that was not shown, and the correct solution involves using the quadratic equation to calculate r².
Tclack

Homework Statement

Find the dimensions(r and h) of the right circular cylinder of greatest Surface Area that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius R.

Homework Equations

[tex]SA=2\pi r^2+2\pi rh[/tex]
[tex]r^2 + (\frac{h}{2})^2 = R^2[/tex] (from imagining it, I could also relate radius and height with [tex]r^2 = h^2 +2R^2[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]SA=2\pi r^2+2\pi rh[/tex]

[tex]r^2 + (\frac{h}{2})^2 = R^2[/tex]

[tex]h=2\sqrt{R^2-r^2}[/tex]

[tex]SA=2\pi r^2+4\pi r\sqrt{R^2-r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dSA}{dr}=4\pi r+4\pi (\sqrt{R^2-r^2}+\frac{-2r^2}{2\sqrt{R^2-r^2}})[/tex]

I tried setting that equal to zero, but I wasn't coming up with the right answer

The answer in the book(not mine): [tex]r=\sqrt{\frac{5+\sqrt{5}}{10}}R[/tex]
[tex]h=2\sqrt{\frac{5-\sqrt{5}}{10}}R[/tex]

Can anyone see my error, or did I make one?

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't made any errors yet. I guess the error is in the part you didn't show us. How did you get a different answer from the book?

Well, from
[tex]\frac{dSA}{dr}=4\pi r+4\pi (\sqrt{R^2-r^2}+\frac{-2r^2}{2\sqrt{R^2-r^2}})=0[/tex]
[tex]4\pi r+4\pi (\sqrt{R^2-r^2}-\frac{r^2}{\sqrt{R^2-r^2}})=0[/tex]
[tex]4\pi r+4\pi (\frac{R^2-r^2-r^2}{\sqrt{R^2-r^2}})=0[/tex]
[tex]-4\pir=4\pi (\frac{R^2-2r^2}{\sqrt{R^2-r^2}})[/tex]
[tex]-r{\sqrt{R^2-r^2}={R^2-2r^2}[/tex]

I seem to be going nowhere, I could square both sides

[tex]r^2(R^2-r^2)=R^4-4R^2r^2+4r^4[/tex]
[tex]5r^2R^2-3r^4=R^4[/tex]
But it doesn't clarify anything. Plus even, If I plug in [tex]\sqrt{\frac{5+\sqrt{5}}{10}}R[/tex] for r, I'm getting nothing.

Last edited:
Tclack said:
[tex]r^2(R^2-r^2)=R^4-4R^2r^2+4r^4[/tex]
[tex]5r^2R^2-3r^4=R^4[/tex]

You didn't simplify correctly. Aside from that, all you need to do now is use the quadratic equation to calculate r^2 (since r^2 = r^2 squared).

1. What is optimization and why is it important in regards to a cylinder in a sphere?

Optimization refers to the process of finding the best solution to a problem. In the context of a cylinder in a sphere, optimization is important because it allows us to find the dimensions of the cylinder that will maximize its volume while fitting inside the sphere.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder in a sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder in a sphere is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height. This formula can be derived by finding the volume of a cone within the sphere and subtracting it from the volume of the sphere.

3. What is the optimal height of the cylinder in a sphere?

The optimal height of the cylinder in a sphere can be found by taking the derivative of the volume formula with respect to the height and setting it equal to 0. This will give us the critical value of the height, which can then be used to find the optimal height.

4. How does the radius of the sphere affect the optimization of the cylinder?

The radius of the sphere directly affects the optimization of the cylinder. As the radius increases, the volume of the sphere also increases, and therefore the optimal height and radius of the cylinder will also change. A larger sphere will allow for a larger cylinder to fit inside with a greater volume.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the optimization of a cylinder in a sphere?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of this optimization problem. One example is in the design of fuel tanks for rockets, where maximizing the volume of the fuel tank while fitting it within the constraints of the rocket's shape is crucial for efficient and effective space travel.