Conformal Mapping: Exterior Circle to Interior Hexagon

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function that maps the exterior of a circle |z|>1 to the interior of a regular hexagon. The suggested method involves mapping the exterior to the interior circle, then to the upper half plane, and finally to the interior hexagon using the Schwarz-Christoffel formula. It is important to keep in mind that one of the vertices of the polygon must map to infinity when using this formula.
ccnerd88

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find a function that map the exterior of a circle |z|>1 into the interior of a regular hexagon.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried mapping the exterior to the interior circle. Then mapping interior circle to the upper plane which then I have to map the upper plane to the interior hexagon using the Schwarz-Christoffel formula. I'm not sure if this is the right method but some help will be useful..

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds okay - though I seem to recall a mapping that takes the exterior of the circle to the upper half plane in one step.

Also when using the Schwarz-Christoffel formula, keep in mind that one of the vertices of the polygon has to map to the point infinity (I once paid dearly in loads of wasted time for forgetting that little snag)

1. What is conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to transform one complex plane onto another while preserving the angles between curves. This allows for the visualization and analysis of complex functions.

2. How does conformal mapping work?

Conformal mapping works by using a complex function to map points from one complex plane onto another. This function must be analytic, meaning it is differentiable and has a derivative at every point on the plane. The derivative of the function at each point determines the scale and rotation of the mapping.

3. What is the exterior circle to interior hexagon mapping?

The exterior circle to interior hexagon mapping is a specific example of conformal mapping that transforms the exterior of a circle onto the interior of a hexagon. This mapping is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze circular and hexagonal objects.

4. What are the applications of conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has many applications in science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and heat transfer. It is also used in creating maps and charts, as well as in computer graphics and animation.

5. What are the limitations of conformal mapping?

One limitation of conformal mapping is that it only works for analytic functions, so not all complex functions can be used for this technique. Additionally, conformal mapping can only preserve angles and not distances, so the shapes of objects may be distorted in the mapping process.