I would like to buy some software but not sure which one Please help ;)

• Thread starter singleton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the individual is looking for recommendations for math software to use for their Algebra&Geometry and Calculus courses. They are currently using a correspondence program and want to verify their answers. They have heard of several options, including Mathematica, Maple, Matlab, and Wolfram Calculation Center. They have also considered purchasing a book for solved problems, but do not feel it is necessary. Ultimately, their main concern is finding a program that will help them do well and ensure their answers are correct.
singleton
I would like to buy some MATH software but not sure which one! Please help ;)

I dropped out of Grade 13 (aka OAC) in Ontario a few years ago--leaving school with a grade 12 diploma and no math credits. I am now doing the math credits (Algebra&Geometry and Calculus) via correspondence through an adult learning center which is run by the ontario education ministry.

I am doing them one at a time (right now Calculus is my focus). I'm finding it pretty enjoyable (I liked math but had external circumstances during senior year which caused me to leave). The material gives me the answers for the practice exercises which I have correct almost every time. On the questions I must submit for credit I do not get to see the answers of course.

I don't want to sound like a cheater (really! I am doing it all myself step by step self-taught ;) but I'd like to verify my answers somehow.

I have heard of various math software: Mathematica, Maple, Matlab etc. I have read up on Mathematica and it mentioned that "Calculus Wiz" (another product by the same company) is better for having the step-by-step results for calculus questions.

"Calculus Wiz" will obviously not cover my Algebra&Geometry course I am taking next.

So I come to you wise men to ask if there is any software that you can recommend for my Algebra&Geometry and Calculus courses? These are rated Ontario Grade 13 which might be somewhere between most grade 12 and first year university classes I'd expect with overlap of both probably.

I'm not even sure I'll need the same guidance with Algebra&Geometry...
Do you think Calculus Wiz would be sufficient for my calculus needs? Any feedback on it would be great.

Thanks a lot, I have no where else to turn for this guidance as I don't have a teacher :(

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi singleton. I've used both Maple and Mathematica (althoug not Calculus Wiz) and I would say that at the calculus level there isn't much difference.

Say, you need to check the derivative of something, and the integral of some other function? Both will do the trick.

In Mathematica (the program that I'm currently using) you can do partial fractions expansion, find roots, sum series and the like. I would wagger that Maple can do that as well but I ain't a Maple user.

For algebra both will do the trick if you want to check: inverse matrix, orthogonalization, vector/matrix operations.

Perhaps you might want to consider buying a Book with solved problems? REA has fine books, Schaum too.

Agreed. At your math level there are no significant differences between Maple and Mathematica. Buy whichever is cheaper, I guess. (I think Maple goes for about $80 for the student version.)

Considier also MathCAD.

I don't think Matlab is what you are seeking.

Consider Wolfram Calculation Center - it's like a light version of Mathematica - you might want to check it out.

Great, thanks for the recommendations so far! Not sure if I'm more confused (heh) or not. I'll have to research Mathematica vs Maple a little more.

Another thing is: If I get accepted for Fall 2005 undergrad physics studies then I may keep using the program at school.

eJavier: as far as buying a Q&A book I don't think I really need that. The practice questions in the books have the answers in the back and I have them right step-by-step most of the time. I just want absolute confirmation for the answers I am submitting (which the book does not give answers for).

I should mention that cost isn't that important. I'm focused on doing well and making sure my answers are correct more than anything. I'm a student at community college so I could probably get student discount for Mathematica or Maple either way...

1. What factors should I consider when buying software?

When buying software, you should consider your budget, the features and functionality you need, compatibility with your device or operating system, customer reviews and ratings, and the reputation of the software provider.

2. How do I determine which software is the best fit for my needs?

To determine the best software for your needs, you should first identify your specific requirements and compare them with the features and capabilities of the software options available. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from others who have used the software.

3. Is it better to buy a one-time purchase software or a subscription-based one?

This depends on your personal preference and needs. If you need the software for a one-time use or infrequent use, a one-time purchase may be more cost-effective. However, if you require continuous updates and support, a subscription-based software may be a better option.

4. What should I do if I am not satisfied with the software I purchased?

If you are not satisfied with the software you purchased, you should contact the software provider's customer service and see if they offer refunds or exchanges. You can also leave a review or complaint on their website or other review platforms.

5. How can I ensure the security and safety of the software I buy?

To ensure the security and safety of the software you buy, make sure to purchase from a reputable and trustworthy provider. You can also check for security certifications and read reviews from other users to gauge the software's safety. Additionally, always download software from official sources and keep your device's security measures up to date.