How long can a light ray travel

In summary, the conversation discusses whether light rays from stars eventually fade out or if they can travel indefinitely. It is mentioned that light rays can lose energy through interactions with other particles, causing redshift, but this does not necessarily end its travel. Gravitational redshift and redshift due to cosmological expansion may also cause light rays to lose energy. The conversation ends with the mention of currently observing light rays that have been traveling for 13 billion years.
bleachigo
I was wondering and have looked for a while on the internet to find out, in the end i found this site so i made an account.

Can anyone tell me if light rays from stars fade out over time or if they travel for an infinite amount of time. Incase I am not clear enough, I am asking if light rays lose energy as they travel and so does that mean that there is a limit to how far a light ray can travel, or can it go on forever

Science news on Phys.org
If there is nothing in its way to absorb a photon, it will travel forever.

The only way it will lose energy is interaction with other particles.

So it can travel in a vacuum indefinitely.

Jim

Not quite true. Gravitational redshift and redshift due to cosmological expansion will cause it to lose energy.

Losing energy means it is redshifted; a photons in the visible light spectrum might redshift down to microwave mengths or radio lengths.

However, this, in itself, will not end or impede its travel though the universe cause it to get lost. It is possible in theory for it to travel forever, redshifting as it goes.

We are currently observing light rays that have been traveling for 13 billion years.

thanks guys been helpful

1. How far can a light ray travel?

A light ray can travel indefinitely as it moves through space at a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. However, the distance it travels can be limited by obstacles or objects that absorb or reflect the light.

2. Can a light ray travel through a vacuum?

Yes, a light ray can travel through a vacuum, which is essentially a space with no matter. This is because light is an electromagnetic wave and does not need a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves.

3. How long does it take for a light ray to travel from the Sun to Earth?

On average, it takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds for a light ray to travel from the Sun to Earth. This is because the distance between the two is about 149.6 million kilometers, and light travels at a speed of 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. Can a light ray travel in a straight line?

Yes, a light ray travels in a straight line unless it is affected by an external force, such as gravity or a change in medium. The phenomenon of light bending when passing through different mediums is known as refraction.

5. Is there a limit to how fast a light ray can travel?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest possible speed in the universe. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.