What's the Reasoning behind the Maclaurin Series? How did Maclaurin discover it?

In summary, the Maclaurin series is a power series representation of a function as a sum of coefficients and powers of x. It was discovered by Maclaurin through a process of approximating a smooth function with linear approximations and then considering infinitely many of these approximations to uniquely describe the original function. The resulting polynomial, known as the Maclaurin polynomial, gives the exact values of the function and its derivatives at x=0.
Abraham
I've taken maths through calc 3.

I understand the Maclaurin series represents a function f(x) as a power series: [tex]\sum(c_{n}x^{n})[/tex]

But how the heck did Maclaurin figure out that the series [tex]\sum(c_{n}x^{n})[/tex] could represent f(x)? I mean, that's clearly not obvious from inspection. I want to know how someone made this discovery.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it came over night. And I'm sure a load of approximations (like sinx=x) already existed. At some point, someone clever is going to come along and try and get a better approximation, or study when/why approximations are possible.

I think he noticed that, for a smooth function, for small values of [tex]\delta[/tex], [tex]f(\delta)[/tex] is approximately equal to [tex]f(0) + c\ \delta[/tex] for some constant [tex]c[/tex]. Then if you consider the second derivative, and so on, you would expect to get better and better approximations. And then if you consider infinitely many linear approximations of the function you've uniquely described the original function and so you recover it.

Here's one way of looking at it- instead of asking for a polynomial of degree n that will be exactly equal to f(x) at n+1 distinct points (as the Lagrange interpolating polynomial is), as for a polynomial of degree n that will give, exactly, f(0), f'(0), f''(0), ..., [itex]f^(n)(0)[/itex]. That is, the MacLaurin Polynomial, of degree n, gives the value of f(x) and its first n derivatives, exactly, at x= 0.

1. What is the Maclaurin series and how is it used in mathematics?

The Maclaurin series is a mathematical concept that allows us to approximate any function using a polynomial. It is a special case of the Taylor series, which is a method of representing a function as an infinite sum of terms. Maclaurin series are often used in calculus to simplify complicated functions and make them easier to work with.

2. How did Maclaurin discover this series?

The Maclaurin series was discovered by Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin in the early 18th century. He was interested in finding a way to represent functions as a series of powers of x, and he developed a method for doing so using the derivatives of the function at a specific point (usually x=0). This series was later named after him in recognition of his contributions to mathematics.

3. What is the reasoning behind using the Maclaurin series instead of other methods of approximation?

The Maclaurin series is particularly useful because it allows us to approximate a wide range of functions using just a few terms. This makes it a powerful tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics. Additionally, the Maclaurin series is often more accurate than other methods of approximation, as it takes into account the derivatives of the function at a specific point.

4. Can the Maclaurin series be used to find the value of a function at any point?

Yes, the Maclaurin series can be used to find the value of a function at any point, as long as the function is differentiable at that point. By using more terms in the series, we can get a more accurate approximation of the function's value at that point.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Maclaurin series?

While the Maclaurin series is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have limitations. One limitation is that it can only be used to approximate functions that are infinitely differentiable at a specific point. Additionally, the series may not converge for some functions, making it unusable in those cases.