Need to preionize xenon lamp with somethingium

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of pre-ionization to start a discharge in a high power xenon flashlamp with widely spaced electrodes. The options considered include using a Tesla coil, a trigger electrode, or ionizing radiation. The idea of using a mildly radioactive substance, such as thorium or krypton, pressed against the outer wall of the bulb is proposed. The use of Krypton 86, a mild beta emitter, is suggested as a commercially used option.
apchar
We're building a very high power xenon flashlamp with electrodes so far apart that some kind of pre-ionization is necessary to start the discharge. I dump 10,000 volts across the electrodes so I just need a few loose electrons to get the ball rolling.
I've been using a Tesla coil to get a glow-discharge inside the bulb but that's a pain. The high-voltage high-frequencies like to go places they're not supposed to go (capacitor banks, furniture, people!), the corona scares people, and the ozone stinks. It can be immersed in transformer oil (I do) but the oil is messy. It's big & cumbersome.
I can use a trigger electrode but that means another power supply - also a pain.
I thought a little ionizing radiation might do the trick. I'd like to put something very very mildly radioactive just pressed against the outer wall of the bulb: thorium, americium, radium, some-other-ium. I don't want to put it inside the bulb since the plasma of a 100megawatt discharge get's kinda hot. So the radiation has to penetrate the 1/4 inch thick quartz wall of the bulb.
Welding rods contain a little thorium to start the arc. As I understand it, thorium is mostly an alpha emitter and alpha particles don't penetrate much. Would alpha radiation penetrate that much quartz? If not, would beta or gamma or (shudder) neutron radiation do the job? What would be an easy (& safe) source. We don't want to sterilize any grad students. They're already grumpy.
Thanks,
Apchar

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Krypton 86. It's a mild beta emitter used for exactly that purpose commercially.

Krypton is a gas. I was thinking of something solid. I know Krypton is used in some bulbs. Is that the isotope commonly used? I could affix a small Krypton bulb to my big Xenon bulb.

Yes, it's the commonly used gas, and yes you can include a small capsule of it nearby. A solid will vaporize and interfere with the lamp. Krypton being noble will not harm the optics of the lamp.

1. What is preionization in the context of xenon lamps?

Preionization is a process used to initiate the discharge of xenon gas in a lamp. It involves introducing a small amount of a different gas, typically a noble gas like neon or argon, into the lamp before the xenon is added. This helps to create a more uniform and stable discharge in the xenon gas.

2. Why is it necessary to preionize xenon lamps with a different gas?

Xenon gas is difficult to ionize and start a discharge in, so preionization is necessary to jumpstart the process. The added gas helps to create a path of ionized particles for the xenon gas to follow, making it easier to start and maintain the discharge.

3. What is the purpose of using "somethingium" as the preionizing gas?

"Somethingium" is not a real element and is often used as a placeholder name in scientific discussions. In this context, it could refer to any noble gas that is commonly used for preionization, such as neon or argon.

4. Can any other gas besides "somethingium" be used for preionization in xenon lamps?

Yes, other gases such as helium, krypton, and xenon itself can also be used for preionization in xenon lamps. The specific gas used will depend on the desired properties and performance of the lamp.

5. Are there any disadvantages to preionizing xenon lamps?

One potential disadvantage is the added complexity and cost of using a preionizing gas. It also requires careful calibration and maintenance to ensure the proper balance of gases and optimal performance of the lamp. However, the benefits of preionization, such as increased efficiency and stability, often outweigh these disadvantages.