Partial derivatives of contour maps/level curves

In summary, the student has two problems involving finding partial derivatives at a given point on a level curve graph and contour map. They are unsure of how to approach these problems since no function is given and there are no examples in their materials. They mention leaving y as a constant when differentiating with respect to x, but are unsure of how to calculate a tangent line in these situations. Another student suggests using the difference in elevations divided by the difference in y or x to estimate the partial derivative, but the original student is uncertain about the accuracy of this method. They also wonder if rounding off to the nearest whole number would be an acceptable estimation for the webassign platform.
nlsherrill

Homework Statement

Basically I have two problems that are asking for the partial derivative with respect to x and y at a certain point on a level curve graph, and a contour map. How do you go about doing these? There is no function given, so I don't really know what they expect you to do. Theres also no examples at all in my book or from lecture notes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know to leave y as a constant if I am differentiating with respect to x and etc...but I just don't know how to calculate a tangent line in these situations. Any help/hints appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see how you can get accurate partial derivatives from a contour map. One method is to use the difference in elevations divided by the difference in y (or x). By the mean value theorem, this is the partial derivative for some value of y in the interval.

slider142 said:
I do not see how you can get accurate partial derivatives from a contour map. One method is to use the difference in elevations divided by the difference in y (or x). By the mean value theorem, this is the partial derivative for some value of y in the interval.

Well the problem says "estimate", but I figured since it's webassign that could mean just round off to the nearest whole number since the level curves/contour maps are given as just whole numbers.

1. What are partial derivatives of contour maps/level curves?

Partial derivatives of contour maps/level curves are the rates of change of a function in different directions. They represent how the function changes with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant.

2. What are contour maps/level curves used for?

Contour maps/level curves are used to visualize the behavior of a function on a two-dimensional plane. They show the points where the function has the same value, creating curves that connect these points. They are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

3. How are partial derivatives calculated for contour maps/level curves?

To calculate the partial derivatives of a contour map/level curve, we use the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to one variable while treating all other variables as constants. This process is repeated for each variable to get all the partial derivatives.

4. What information can be gathered from a contour map/level curve?

A contour map/level curve can provide information about the behavior of a function, such as its critical points, maximum and minimum values, and the direction and rate of change at any given point. It can also show the overall shape of the function and any patterns or relationships between variables.

5. How are contour maps/level curves helpful in real-world applications?

Contour maps/level curves are commonly used in real-world applications to model and analyze various phenomena, such as temperature, elevation, and population density. They can help in understanding the behavior of these phenomena, identifying optimal solutions, and making predictions for future scenarios.