How to Do Electronics Project: Flashing LED Kit

• Thread starter Hyperspace2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary: The time for each switch over is governed by the 'time constant' for the Capacitor - Resistor networks. The variable resistors are put where they are, in series with fixed value resistors to provide suitable ranges of R which adjusts the time constants over the required range. It is common to use a fixed value of resistor in series with a variable one to avoid what could happen if the variable resistor were set to zero - a short circuit.
Hyperspace2
Hello People .

I am first year electronics engineering student .

Recently I wanted to try hand in electonics projects.

And I am planning to do flashing led electonic kit given over net. I couldn't understand how its's really working. I have no idea. People help me . Advance thanks.

Also do you people know the internet site , where the project is given and working principle is also given.

Attachments

• flashing_LEDs.gif
    flashing_LEDs.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 504
  • flashing_LED_schematic.gif
    flashing_LED_schematic.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 486
Engineering news on Phys.org
The circuit is called an astable multivabrator. That means it will keep hopping from one state to the other. (Q1 on, Q2 off) - (Q1 off, Q2 on) and back again.
How it works?
Briefly, when Q1 turns 'on', the base of Q2 will be pulled down so Q2 is off and Q2 collector will go high. But C1 will gradually charge up, through R3 etc.. Eventually, the voltage on the base of Q2 will be high enough to switch Q2 on, which will turn off Q1 as the base is pulled down via C2.
Once Q1 is 'off' and Q2 is 'on', the voltage on Q1's collector will go up. R4 etc. will start to pull the base volts up until it turns on again, at which time, Q2 turns off and so on and so on.
The circuit cannot rest in anyone state.
Note, if you raise the supply volts from zero, very slowly, it is possible to make both Q1 and Q2 turn on at the same time and the circuit will not oscillate. That's a fundamental flaw in the design but it can be avoided by making sure that these conditions don't occur. Alternatively, you can 'give it a kick' by grounding one of the bases and off it will go.
You can do the same sort of thing using 'cross-coupled' logic gates.

sophiecentaur said:
Briefly, when Q1 turns 'on', the base of Q2 will be pulled down so Q2 is off ..
Thanks for reply sir
But I don't understand why Q1 turns on ( I guess it's base is alo pull down by C2)
Sorry for my ignorance.

Last edited:
Good questions.
You have to assume that, at switch-on, one transistor happens to turn on first. This is actually very likely because the times for capacitors of slightly different values to charge via resistors of also different values will nearly always be slightly different. Any slight assymetry will ensure that oscillations start up because one will 'get there' first. [Edit There is, initially, positive feedback which will exaggerate any imbalance until one transistor is hard on and the other is off. That situation collapses one the capacitors discharge]

The time for each switch over is governed by the 'time constant' for the Capacitor - Resistor networks. The variable resistors are put where they are, in series with fixed value resistors to provide suitable ranges of R which adjusts the time constants over the required range. It is common to use a fixed value of resistor in series with a variable one to avoid what could happen if the variable resistor were set to zero - a short circuit.

Last edited:
Hyperspace
Did you just edit out one of your questions? I could have sworn you asked about the variable resistors! :)

sophiecentaur said:
Hyperspace
Did you just edit out one of your questions? I could have sworn you asked about the variable resistors! :)

Yes you are true. I did it because I wanted to go step by step and learn. That all. So
please tell me about the the question above

So I have answered your next question?
In the last para of my last answer :)

What is a flashing LED kit and how does it work?

A flashing LED kit is a small electronic device that contains all the components and instructions needed to create a circuit that makes an LED flash on and off. This is accomplished by using a microcontroller, such as an Arduino, to send electrical signals to the LED at specific intervals. The kit typically includes a circuit board, resistors, capacitors, transistors, and other necessary components.

What are the steps involved in building a flashing LED kit?

The specific steps may vary depending on the kit, but generally, it involves assembling the circuit on the provided circuit board, connecting the components correctly, and programming the microcontroller. Some kits may also require soldering or wiring the circuit to a power source. Detailed instructions are usually provided with the kit.

Do I need any prior knowledge or experience in electronics to build a flashing LED kit?

While prior knowledge or experience in electronics can be helpful, most flashing LED kits are designed for beginners and do not require any prior knowledge. The instructions provided with the kit are usually easy to follow, and the components are pre-selected and labeled for convenience.

What types of projects can be created using a flashing LED kit?

The possibilities are endless! Some popular projects include creating a blinking light for a bike or car, building a simple alarm system, or creating a decorative LED display. The only limitation is your imagination!

Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with a flashing LED kit?

Yes, it is always essential to take proper safety precautions when working with electronics. Make sure to read and follow the instructions provided with the kit, wear safety gear such as goggles and gloves, and work in a well-ventilated area. It is also essential to disconnect the power source before making any changes to the circuit.