Bouncing ball and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball being dropped and bouncing back up, and the force applied by the ground. The correct answer is found to be 1285 N, and the conversation also mentions various physics textbooks for reference.
SahinTC
Hey there... I'm studying for a test tomorrow and there's a problem I can't seem to figure out... I hope you all don't mind me asking here (hey, it's what the forum's for :smile:), and I hope you all can see that I really did attempt to work the problem myself.

A ball of mass 1.7 kg is dropped from a height, h, and hits the ground at a velocity of 14.0 m/s and bounces up to its original height. If the ball is in contact with the ground for 1/27 of a second find the average force the ground applies to the ball. (Use GUESS method.)
Answer 758 N

Now, when the ball hits the ground, it's VInst is equal to 14m/s. Newton's 3rd law states that at that instant, the same force will be applied upwards towards the ball.

We know that the acceleration of a falling object is 10m/s^2. Yes, I am aware this is simplified, and would prefer to use 9.81 myself, but the department head for physics at my school rather seems to like rounding it off to a nice number.

If the velocity on impact was 14m/s, and the acceleration is 10m/s^2, the object took 1.4 seconds to hit the ground. We know the average velocity (free fall to 14m/s) is 7m/s.

X = X0 * Vavg * t...
Plugging everything in, the dX is equal to 7m/s*1.4s, leaving us with a distance of 9.8, which is h. I'm not quite sure of the relevence of this, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to find it. :P.

If the ball comes into contact with the ground for 1/27 of a second, then seconds 1.40 to 1.44 is the time in which the ball is on the ground. This is where I am severely confused. What happens here? The ground exerts an equal force of impact on the ball (17N), but doesn't it have to be greater than the force of gravity for it to bounce back up? The weight of the ball is also 16.7N (1.7kg * 9.8m/s), but these two forces can't be the same... acceleration would be zero and the ball would just hit the ground and stop.

So... what happens?

Also, the physics book is... well... for the most part, absolute garbage. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good physics book or resource, ranging from the mechanics of physics to quantum physics, preferably.

Physics news on Phys.org
A ball of mass 1.7 kg is dropped from a height, h, and hits the ground at a velocity of 14.0 m/s and bounces up to its original height. If the ball is in contact with the ground for 1/27 of a second find the average force the ground applies to the ball. (Use GUESS method.)
Answer 758 N
IMO, that answer is wrong.

F = mass * acceleration

[tex]F = \frac{m \Delta v}{t}[/tex]

[tex]F = \frac{(1.7)(14 - (-14))}{\frac{1}{27}}[/tex]

1.7 is the mass, the time is 1/27, and the change in velocity is 28. The ball hit the ground going 14m/s downwards, so say that was -14m/s. For the ball to reach the same height, it would have to leave the ground at the same speed, but in the opposite direction, +14,/s. Total change of velocity was 28m/s.

F = 1285.2N

If somebody sees a problem with what I'm saying. I would love to hear it. :smile:

ShawnD said:
F = 1285.2N

If somebody sees a problem with what I'm saying. I would love to hear it. :smile:
Looks good to me, ShawnD. The only nitpick I would make is that the F you found is the net force on the ball. The average force exerted by the ground would be F + mg. (Which just makes the original answer even more wrong.)

IF you take the same variables and look at it from the "impulse-momentum theorem" it takes you to the same place: Ft = m (delta)v Just like ShawnD's formula, but in this formula the force is specifically the average force. Again the answer is 1285 N, but sig figs makes the answer 1300 N. If the book actually says that this answer is 758 N, it really is garbage.

You were indeed correct, ShawnD, the answer supplied is wrong...

Now someone point me to a good physics textbook before my brain explodes. ><

Resnick and Halliday's Physics book, or try Serway and Beichnner Physics for scientists and engineers.

Cutnell and Johnson have a good algebra-based text, published by Wiley. For calculus, I like Sanny & Moebs from William C Brown.

1. How does the height of a bouncing ball affect its acceleration?

The height of a bouncing ball does not affect its acceleration. The acceleration of a ball is determined by the force of gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the mass of the ball. The height only affects the velocity of the ball, as it determines the potential energy before it begins to fall and the kinetic energy as it bounces back up.

2. Does the type of surface affect the acceleration of a bouncing ball?

Yes, the type of surface can affect the acceleration of a bouncing ball. A surface that is softer, such as a foam mat, will absorb some of the energy of the ball and decrease its acceleration. A harder surface, like concrete, will have less give and cause the ball to bounce higher and faster, increasing its acceleration.

3. How does air resistance impact the acceleration of a bouncing ball?

Air resistance can act as a force that opposes the motion of a bouncing ball, thus decreasing its acceleration. This is because the air molecules collide with the ball, slowing it down. However, the impact of air resistance on a bouncing ball is minimal and can usually be ignored in calculations.

4. Can the angle at which a ball is dropped affect its acceleration?

Yes, the angle at which a ball is dropped can affect its acceleration. When dropped from an angle, the ball's initial velocity will have a horizontal component, which can change its acceleration. However, if the angle is small, the impact on acceleration will be minimal and similar to a ball dropped straight down.

5. How does the elasticity of a ball affect its acceleration when bouncing?

The elasticity of a ball does not affect its acceleration when bouncing. The acceleration is determined by gravity and the mass of the ball. However, the elasticity can affect the height and speed of the ball's bounces, which can indirectly impact its acceleration by changing the time and distance over which the acceleration occurs.