BLAH Temp and engine problem,

• Thread starter Farside
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems: one involving the minimum altitude from which a block of ice must fall to melt a certain amount, and one involving the efficiency of three proposed engine designs. The conversation provides hints and calculations for solving the problems, ultimately leading to the selection of design B based on its stated efficiency.
Farside
I was running through some problems, doing just fine, until I came across these two. I can't work out a correct solution. :cry:

1) A 1-kg block of ice at 0 C falls into a lake whose water is also at 0 C, and 0.01 kg of the ice melts. What was the minimum altitude from which the ice fell?

2) Three designs for an engine to operate between 450 K and 300 K are proposed. Design A is claimed to require a heat input of 800 J for each 1000 J of work output, design B a heat input of 2500 J, and design C a heat input of 3500J. Which design would you choose and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some hints that may help:
(1) How much energy is needed to melt that much ice? Where does that energy come from? (Consider gravitational potential energy.)
(2) What is the maximum possible efficiency of a heat engine operating between those two temperatures?

:confused: still can't get 'em

Show what you've done so far.

For the second, I'm assuming the max efficiency is about .33. So I would choose design B.

I have no clue of what to use for the first problem.

Farside said:
For the second, I'm assuming the max efficiency is about .33.
No need to assume it. Calculate it based on the temperatures.
So I would choose design B.
What is the stated efficiency of design B?

I have no clue of what to use for the first problem.
How much energy does it take to melt ice? Hint: [itex]Q = m L_f[/itex], where [itex]L_f[/itex] is the "latent heat of fusion" for water.

1. What is the cause of my engine problem?

There are many potential causes of an engine problem, including a malfunctioning component, low oil or coolant levels, or a clogged filter. It is best to have a professional mechanic diagnose and repair the issue.

2. How can I prevent my engine from overheating?

Regular maintenance, such as checking and replacing coolant and oil levels, can help prevent your engine from overheating. It's also important to avoid driving in extreme temperatures and to keep an eye on your dashboard temperature gauge.

3. What does the "BLAH Temp" warning light mean?

The "BLAH Temp" warning light indicates that your engine is running too hot, which can be caused by a variety of factors. It's important to address this issue promptly to avoid any damage to your engine.

4. Can I still drive my car if the engine temperature is high?

In most cases, it is not recommended to drive your car if the engine temperature is high. This can cause further damage to your engine and potentially leave you stranded. It's best to pull over and have the issue addressed by a professional.

5. How can I determine if my engine problem is serious?

The severity of an engine problem can vary greatly, so it's important to have it diagnosed by a professional. Warning signs of a serious issue include loud noises, smoke, or loss of power. If you experience any of these symptoms, it's best to stop driving immediately and seek assistance.