Fermi level and Fermi wavevector

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the Fermi wavevector for copper with a Fermi level of 7eV. There is conflicting information on the formula to use, but it is most likely E = h(bar)^2k^2/2m. The calculated wavevector is 1.359x10^10, which may seem like a large number, but it is actually a small value in solid state physics.
Toni103
Note: I already asked this question ion the introductory physics forums but have had no replies.

The question I'm being asked is: If the Fermi level of copper is 7eV calculate the magnitude of the Fermi wavevector?The formula I'm pretty sure it goes with is Kf=(3pi^2ne)^2/3
The reason I'm unsure is when I looked it up I found conflicting information on what the variables stood for? I'm not looking for anyone to do the question or anything for me I'm just looking for help on what the variables stand for.

EDIT: Ok now I'm thinking the formula E = h(bar)^2k^2/2m would be better. Using this formula I've found the wave vector to be 1.359x10^10 which seems like an extremely large number. Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, that's what I get too.

Values for the wave vectors typically have very large values (around 10^13 m^(-1) ) in solid state physics so this is not an extremely large number in this context, I would rather say that it is a small value of a wave vector, considering that phonons typically have wavevectors with a magnitude of 10^13 m^(-1).

Great thanks very much Kloptok! For some reason I thought I should be getting a very small number but I see with the equation now its actually the opposite.

What is the Fermi level?

The Fermi level, also known as the Fermi energy, is the highest occupied energy level in a material at absolute zero temperature. It represents the energy at which a material's electrons have a 50% probability of being occupied.

How is the Fermi level related to the electronic band structure?

The Fermi level is related to the electronic band structure of a material through the distribution of energy levels that are available to electrons. At the Fermi level, there is a sharp jump in the number of available energy states, indicating a high concentration of electrons.

What is the significance of the Fermi level in semiconductors?

In semiconductors, the Fermi level plays a critical role in determining the electrical and optical properties of the material. It determines the concentration of free electrons and holes, which are essential for conducting electricity and creating light emission.

What is the Fermi wavevector?

The Fermi wavevector, also known as the Fermi momentum, is a measure of the momentum of electrons at the Fermi level. It is related to the Fermi energy through the equation kF = (√2m*EF)/h, where m* is the effective mass of the electron and h is Planck's constant.

How does temperature affect the Fermi level and Fermi wavevector?

As temperature increases, the Fermi level and Fermi wavevector also increase. This is because as temperature increases, more energy states become available for electrons to occupy, leading to a larger number of free electrons at the Fermi level.