Position Dependent Forces: Finding Velocity as a Function of Displacement

In summary, the question asks, find the velocity v as a function of the displacement x for a particle of mass m. Integrate to find the answer.
Speags
the question asks,
Find the velocity v as a function of the displacement x for a particle of mass m, which starts from rest x=0
F(x)=Fo + Cx where Fo and C are positive constants
So far I've gotten,
ma=Fo + Cx
m (dv/dt)=Fo +Cx
m (dv/dx dx/dt)=Fo +Cx I split dv/dt using the product rule
m v dv=(Fo + Cx) dx v=dx/dt
now I'm haveing problems doing the intergal of both sides i have so far
m(v-vo)=?

can anyone help?
I've intergrated on the LHS from vo to v and i think the RHS should be from xo to x

Physics news on Phys.org
What the problem?

[tex] mvdv=(F_{o} + C_{x})dx [/tex]

[tex] \int_{v_{o}}^{v} mvdv= \int_{x_{o}}^{x} (F_{o} + Cx)dx [/tex]

[tex] \int_{v_{o}}^{v} mvdv= \int_{x_{o}}^{x} F_{o}dx + \int_{x_{o}}^{x} Cxdx [/tex]

Mass is a constant
Fo and C are positive constants

Integrate.

[tex] m \int_{v_{o}}^{v} vdv= F_{o} \int_{x_{o}}^{x} dx + C \int_{x_{o}}^{x} xdx [/tex]

You should have:

[tex] m \frac{1}{2}v^2]_{v_{o}}^{v}= F_{o}x]_{x_{o}}^{x}+ \frac{1}{2}Cx^2]_{x_{o}}^{x} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}m(v^2 - v_{o}^2)= F_{o}(x-x_{o})+ \frac{1}{2}C(x^2-x_{o}^2) [/tex]

Our Particle starts from rest (Vo = 0) at x = 0 so

We got

[tex] \frac{1}{2}m(v^2)= F_{o}x+ \frac{1}{2}Cx^2 [/tex]

[tex] v(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2F_{o}x+ Cx^2}{m}} [/tex]

There you go.

Last edited:
[tex] m \int_{v_{o}}^{v} vdv= F_{o} \int_{x_{o}}^{x} dx + C_{x} \int_{x_{o}}^{x} dx [/tex]
should be

[tex] m \int_{v_{o}}^{v} vdv= F_{o} \int_{x_{o}}^{x} dx + C \int_{x_{o}}^{x} xdx [/tex]
sorry i didn't explain it well enough C and X are seperate

so does that mean the solution would be:
[tex] 1/2mv^2=F_{o}x + 1/2Cx^2 [/tex]
[tex] v= \sqrt {(2F_{o}x)/m + (Cx^2)/m} [/tex]

Oh ok no problem, but at least you got it :smile:

[tex] v_{o} = 0 , x_{o} = 0 [/tex]

thanks for your help

Always a pleasure to help, and Welcome to PF! :smile:

1. What is a position dependant force?

A position dependant force is a force that changes in magnitude or direction based on the position of an object. This means that the force is not constant and can vary depending on the location of the object.

2. What are some examples of position dependant forces?

Some examples of position dependant forces include gravity, electric and magnetic forces, and forces in a spring. These forces change based on the distance between objects or the position of the object in a system.

3. How do position dependant forces affect an object's motion?

Position dependant forces can affect an object's motion by causing it to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. The magnitude and direction of the force will determine how the object's motion is affected.

4. How are position dependant forces measured and calculated?

Position dependant forces are typically measured in newtons (N) and can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). The acceleration can be determined using the position and velocity of the object.

5. What is the relationship between position dependant forces and potential energy?

Position dependant forces and potential energy have an inverse relationship. As an object moves closer to the source of a position dependant force, its potential energy decreases. Conversely, as the object moves further away, its potential energy increases. This is because the force is doing work on the object, either increasing or decreasing its potential energy.