Thermodynamics, first law, pressure increase, volume increase

OUNT OF HEAT ENERGY NEEDED TO HEAT OXYGEN TO INCREASE VOLUME BY 3 TIMES AND THEN INCREASE PRESSURE BY 2 TIMESIn summary, to increase the volume of 10g of oxygen by 3 times while maintaining constant pressure, and then increase the pressure by 2 times while maintaining constant volume, a total of 11325kJ of heat energy is needed. This can be calculated using the equation Q=m*C_v*delta(T) for the first step and Q=m*C_p*delta(T) for the second step, where C_v and C_p are the specific heat capacities of oxygen at constant volume and constant pressure, respectively.
Bassalisk

Homework Statement

How much heat energy is needed to heat oxygen, mass=10g which is on temperature t=27°C to make the volume go up by 3 times while pressure is constant, and after that increase the pressure 2 times while volume is constant. Specific heat capacity of oxygen is cp= 908 J/KgK and cv=653 J/kgK.

Homework Equations

Q=m*cv(p)*delta(T)
Q=U+pV

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried and tried and triiied and i hate to come here to look for an answer its a probably an easy one, but i have a mental blockade, can't think of anything.
I have final result Q=11,32kJ if it helps(solution to this from my book)I simply cannot find any relation or equation so that i can relate pressure and volume etc. I know general fomula Q=U+pV, but that didn't get me anywhere..Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pV/T = const

const pressure:
1/(27+273) = 3 / (T + 273) --> dT = 600
Q1 = mc_v dT = 0.01kg * 908 * 600 = 5448 KJ

const vol:
1 / (627 + 273) = 2 / (T + 273) --> dT = 900
Q2 = mc_pdT = 0.01kg * 653 * 900 = 5877 kJ

Q_total = Q1 + Q2 = 11325kJ

ppzmis said:
pV/T = const

const pressure:

const vol:

See, I had absolutely no idea about pV/T part, that changes everything. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I just had like 5 in a row "aha" moments :D Gas equation, fixed quantity of gas etc

ppzmis said:
pV/T = const

const pressure:

const vol:

I think you meant to write C_p in the first calculation (Q1) and C_v in the second (Q2). You have used the correct values though.

AM

for reaching out for help with this problem. First, let's define some of the variables in this problem. Q represents the amount of heat energy needed, m represents the mass of oxygen, cv represents the specific heat capacity at constant volume, and t represents the initial temperature. The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) of a system is equal to the heat (Q) added to the system minus the work (W) done by the system. In this case, since the pressure is constant, there is no work done, so the equation simplifies to ΔU = Q. We can also use the equation Q = m*cv*ΔT to calculate the amount of heat energy needed to change the temperature of the oxygen.

For the first part of the problem, we need to find the amount of heat energy needed to increase the volume of the oxygen by a factor of 3 while keeping the pressure constant. We can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, to relate the initial and final volumes of the oxygen. Since the pressure is constant, we can rewrite this as V2 = V1*(T2/T1), where V1 is the initial volume and V2 is the final volume. We also know that T2 = T1 + ΔT, so we can substitute this into our equation to get V2 = V1*(1 + ΔT/T1). We also know that the final volume is 3 times the initial volume, so we can set up the equation 3V1 = V1*(1 + ΔT/T1) and solve for ΔT. This gives us ΔT = 2T1. Now we can use the equation Q = m*cv*ΔT to calculate the amount of heat energy needed, which gives us Q = 10g * 653 J/kgK * 2T1 = 13.06T1 J.

For the second part of the problem, we need to find the amount of heat energy needed to increase the pressure of the oxygen by a factor of 2 while keeping the volume constant. We can use the ideal gas law again, PV = nRT, to relate the initial and final pressures of the oxygen. Since the volume is constant, we can rewrite this as P2 = P1*(T2/T1), where P1 is the initial pressure and P2 is the final pressure. We also know that

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.

3. How does pressure affect thermodynamic systems?

In thermodynamics, pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted by a gas on its container. Changes in pressure can affect the behavior and properties of a thermodynamic system, such as the volume and temperature.

4. What happens to the volume of a gas when pressure is increased?

According to the ideal gas law, when pressure is increased on a gas, its volume decreases. This is because the gas molecules are forced closer together, reducing the space they occupy.

5. How does an increase in volume affect a thermodynamic system?

When the volume of a thermodynamic system increases, the pressure decreases. This is because the gas molecules now have more space to move around and collide with the container walls, resulting in a decrease in the force per unit area (pressure).